Sunday, August 25, 2013

Halfa Key

I broke a key.
I knew it was going to happen at some point.
I'd noticed that that particular key was slightly bent.
And I figured that if it was bent the same way too many times....well SNAP.

It did just that.
I was finishing locking up a cage, and jerked the key out....only not all of the key came out of the lock. :S
Oops.
That's what I get for being in a hurry. :S

This has happened a couple of times before. lol We must be really hard on our keys. *shakes head* In any case, I'd broken off a key before in a different lock, but that lock luckily had space, so I could just push the key out.
Not for this cage. It was stuck waaay in there.

And this could have been problematic.
If there had only been one lock on this cage.
For if I couldn't unlock it...then I couldn't get into it....and then the animal within....wouldn't get fed.
Not good.
Luckily. There were two locks to this particular cage. So I could get into one side, if not the other.

I spent some time that day trying to get the piece of key out of the lock.
:( To no avail.

I let people know...and figured, hey. They'll get it out.

No dice.
It was still there a couple of days later. :S
Like I said, we could still get into half of the cage. But I really didn't want that key stuck there any longer.

So once more when I had time, I tried again.
First I tried with gum. But that didn't work.
So I went back to what I'd first attempted.
I got a paperclip, and pulled it so that I had both ends facing the same direction.
Then I stuck both ends into spaces within/between the key.
Squeezing the pieces together...I tried to pull it out.
Again. No success.
But then I twisted the paperclip so that the two sides wound around each other, making the grip on the key tighter.
I pulled.
And WALLA!
I GOT THE KEY OUT!!

Haha! I literally did a fish pump into the air and cried "yes!"

^^ Success.
Such a good feeling.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment