Tuesday, August 13, 2013

I Picked It Up Again

I've probably already done a post similar to this one in the past.
But I bring it up again just because I can. :)

There are moments in my life,
When I really just need to get lost in a book.
Times when I get sad.
Times when my creative juices seem to stop flowing.
Though that usually seems to coincide with when I get sad.
And in the end...I just need a good book.

Something to inspire me.
To make me feel better about my own situation.

This sort of thing usually happens at least once a year.
So it wouldn't surprise me to see two posts like this one if I decided to go looking through all those posts. lol.

Time and time again,
There is one book. One series in particular that I will turn to.
A book that inspires, and that I could and do read again and again.

The book?
Joust by Mercedes Lackey.

Of course, I start that book telling myself that I will only read that one, but why start a series if you don't finish it? So I end up reading the other three books in the series as well.

I'm not sure why I migrate to this book when I need some cheering up. When I need some inspiration. All I know, is that when I'm down and gloomy (like I have been for the past couple of weeks due to problems at the apt, work, and church.) This book just brightens my mood. It gives me those 'happy butterflies' where I can become chipper about life again. And being happier makes me more creative which helps when my writing creativity seems to hit a wall.

Mostly I think it's the story.
Joust.
It's about dragons.
But not just that.
It centers around a serf boy named Vetch. Treated horribly. Seen as less useful then a blind dog with rabies, he's really only kept around because he's tied to the land he lives on. Yet, his miserable existence is suddenly changed when a dragon rider and his dragon descend upon him and take him to their quarters in the dragon court to become a new dragon boy -guy who helps take care of the dragons- and ends up with his own dragon in the end.

I love a good under dog story.
One where the lowest of the low rise up to become someone of importance in the end. They didn't look for it. Didn't ask for it. Yet they got it.
It's just the sort of story that makes me smile. It's a feel good thing.
Like the book is showing me that if I just play my cards right, if I'm patient enough, good things will fall into my lap bit by bit until I look up and I'm surprised at how happy I am again.

And so, that once or twice a year, when I just need a 'pick me up' I pick up Joust (and coincidentally the rest of the series) to help me get my 'bounce' back. :)
So far, it hasn't failed me. :)
And that, I think is a mark of a great book and a great writer.
Thanks for the pick me up Mercedes Lackey. :) I needed it.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment