Friday, August 30, 2013

The 5 Yearer

It was a moment that I've been anticipating ever since before my high school graduation.

A moment seen in movies, read in books, shown in TV shows.

The High School Reunion.

Of course, the reunions I'd seen/read about, tend to talk about reunions further down the line. 20 year. 30 year. 50 year.

Not 5 year.
Still. I was excited.
I mean, seeing the classmates I graduated with 5 years ago?
Just from the little bits I've gotten from facebook tell me that some of my classmates already married with two kids and maybe a third on the way. O.o How crazy is that?!

This was the opportunity to rediscover my classmates.
Which ones had gotten married. Had any of my classmates married each other?
How many of them had a kid? More then one?
Which ones were still single?
Which ones looked the same, which ones looked different.
So many ideas.

Totally idealized by what I knew from those tv shows and books dealing with them.

And...I was also reflecting on where I thought I would be at this time. When the 5 year reunion came around.
Upon graduating High School....in 5 years...I expected to be done with college, already into my career. And probably married. I mean, everyone is expected to get married after High School. And I expected that I would be in that crew as well. Though probably not at the baby stage yet.
I expected to be there with all my friends, goofing off, partying it up. We probably hadn't spoken in a while. All of us would be married with spouses.

How different that ideal is from the reality lol.
It is similar that I am graduated from college. But am I on my career path? I don't know yet.
I'm totally not married. Don't even have a boyfriend.
And my friends...
most of them aren't married either.
My closest two friends didn't even make it to the reunion...because they're on their missions right now.
So it was already weird.

Non the less.
I went.
;) I wanted to check out the cute guys.

In any case. It was...different from my expectations.
I mean, I kept expecting the reunion to be held in the High School gym, with all of us wearing suits or dresses. It would be like a big dance party.

But, the small group of us met at a park. In casual clothes.
And instead of it being our huge graduating class...it was only a fraction. Maybe 30 at the most showed up throughout the evening out of a class of 400. Not good odds.

The experience itself?
Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. :)
It was fun to see the people I saw. To catch up with them. To meet their spouses and maybe their babies.
It got semi awkward for me when I realized....I was the only single person there. :S
But that faded when more single people showed up.
And I actually recognized most of the people there. Even though their faces, shapes, hair styles were slightly different, I could recognize them.

In the end, it felt more like a get together. A 'hey! You're here too? What a coincidence!" sort of feeling. We just happened to be at the same park together.

It was fun. I wish it would have been a bit bigger, but I was content with the size. :)

lol I am wondering if I should try and make it a goal to be married by the next reunion though. It's not that awkward to not be married 5 years down the row...but 10? Hmmm...Guess we'll see how things fall into place. :)

In  any case. Reunion. Totally different. But good. I hope more people can make it to the next one! :)

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment