Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Hard Drive Failure

Today's post is brought to you by:

My old laptop.

Funny story how that ended up coming about.
Okay, it's not really funny, but it is a story.

You see, I got a laptop for Christmas right?
A Nice, Fast, Shiny New Toy.
And everything was going great!

....except apparently it wasn't.

There were little things....
Like the internet randomly spazing out -i.e. going super really slow.
The audio on my laptop not seeming to be 'loud enough'
Oh, and my keyboard....that would just randomly stop working. Even if it had been working fine like two seconds earlier.

Just tiny itsy bitsy things, that really could be fixed by a quick off and on to my laptop. I hadn't thought anything of it. It was just an odd phase.

Well....it wasn't.

I turned on my laptop yesterday to discover a black screen with a notice that my SMART Hard Drive was in danger of immediate failure.

O.o Say what? It's only like four months old! (okay...it's five, I bought it on black Friday, but I didn't start using it until Christmas)

I hit enter to go to my normal screen.
I actually think I did that before reading what it actually said. Hmmm...
In any case.
I ended up turning my computer off and on a couple of times throughout the day, and I kept getting that same black screen message before it would open into the normal start up stuff.

later that night, it got worse. I got a pop up message from windows basically telling me "Your Hard Drive could crash at ANY TIME! BACK UP YOUR STUFF NOW!"

O.o Uhhhh......
So I did.
And decided to take it into the store tomorrow to see if they could do anything.

Lucky me....I haven't really put much onto my new laptop. Just a handful of word documents, a few pictures.... So it was pretty easy to save those things.

As, the tech people at the store (and a friend from facebook warned me beforehand) told me that they would need to send it in to totally replace the hard drive. As in....when I get it back...It will be wiped totally clean, as in, it will be like getting a whole new laptop again.

*Sighs*
Well...there goes my music for the umpteenth time. Seriously...I should just buy all my songs from ITunes, that way I don't have to redownload them everytime something like this happens. >.<

But like I said, I wasn't too heartbroken. I'd already saved the few files I needed.

Sooo
:( I let them take my laptop away from me. *sobs*
I won't see it for like two weeks, while they fix the problem. :(

But lucky me, I still have my old laptop!! :) So I'm not completely internetless for this difficult time. ;) lol (though it is taking a bit of getting used to using it again. lol.)

Of course...who knows if it will survive that long....
As part of the reason why I upgraded to a new laptop was that the battery thing on my old laptop wasn't doing so great. Holding charges and such. Basically it needs to be replaced.
And turning on this one again, I got a nice message telling me just that.
"YOU NEED TO REPLACE THE BATTERY!!"
Chill chill laptop. I ain't going to do any such thing.
Surely keeping it plugged into the wall will prevent such a catastrophe from happening.

But on the off chance it does....here is a small warning.
If I don't end up posting until the beginning of may....it's because I'm totally laptopless. :(

Doesn't mean I'm internetless though! lol but blogging from a smartphone or an Itouch is definitely not a walk in the park. :S

We shall see.
but until that point when my new laptop returns....

Hello old laptop! Thanks for being willing to help a gal out in need. ^^

Until you next see these words;
I'll be waiting for my laptop to come back to me. Oh, and watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment