Saturday, March 14, 2015

The 'Fast' Food Wait

There are days when I can be understanding of others struggles in retail business.
I mean, I've been there.
I've had my off days.
I've had to deal with coworkers who were new.
Who weren't moving as quickly as the situation warranted.
Who probably could have used some help.
 
I've been there.
 
Yet, sometimes I still have to wonder about it...
 
So, Kikay and I had gotten together to grab a bite to eat at a fast food place.
With the concept that it would be 'fast food' since we had other places to be as well. Luckily not quickly.
 
So we get to our chosen spot to dine.
And I notice the cashier....doesn't seem to be quite there. Like he's there,
But he definitely had a "I'm new here." "I don't want to be here." "I'm tired" auras.
 
As we were nearing the dinner rush time.
But still he moved at a snail's pace.
 
He took my order.
And then immediately turned away from the register.
Totally ignoring the fact that Kikay had been standing basically right behind me.
And kept his back turned for too long. It seemed like 5 or so minutes.
which, when you're waiting.
Is a long time.
Trust me I know.
I work retail, what doesn't seem like much time to you is a lot of time for customers.
 
What bugged me, in that entire time, I'm not sure he accomplished anything of use while his back was turned.
I know he was trying to prepare something...but I don't know if he actually did something.
 
and what irritated me, was that he kept his head down.
He didn't look up.
didn't check to see if there were customers waiting in line.
Basically. Ignored us.
 
Again, I can understand that if he's new.
Because new people at work tend to be focused on only one thing at a time.
They haven't learned to multi task yet.
To keep their heads on a swivel.
Looking out for new customers as they came into the door.
 
Still, Kikay finally got her order.
And we went and sat down.
Confident (kinda) that we'd get our food soon.
 
But time passed by.
Too much time for a fast food place.
as it shouldn't take longer than 3 or 5 minutes to fry stuff up or prepare a sandwich.
And I felt like it had been at least ten.
 
So I took our receipts to check back in with how the process was.
And found a crowd of people too waiting for their orders too.
As one person.
ONE person -that one cashier in the front.
Continued to just take orders from other customers.
I could tell there were two maybe three guys in the back,
Preparing the orders.
I could see all the orders waiting in the warming trays.
Waiting to be put in baggies or on those plastic trays for the customers.
Seriously, it was nearly full, that's how far behind they were.

And I had to wonder.
Why didn't the cashier call for help up to the front.
Why did the guy who I could obviously tell was a manager not come up to the front to check in and see how the new guy was doing?
I saw him helping to prepare the food.
Didn't he see how high the orders were stacking waiting to be given out to their customers?

Then another worker came in, obviously just starting their shift.
And immediately took to fulfilling the drive thru orders.
While our food sat there.....while the cashier just took orders...while no one helped.

Honestly I was tempted to just march past the counter and grab my food and my sisters and go.
I could see basically all of it there.
Waiting for us.

I ended up making two or three trips between our table and the front.
Just to check in on progress.
Seriously, we should have been mostly finished with our meal by that point.
It wasn't a sit down restaurant, it was a fast food place!

I think in that whole time, the cashier managed to get one person's order out.
I think they were waiting before me, so I wasn't too bugged.
At one point I think he asked his other coworker for help.
But they refused, already harried with trying to keep up with the orders coming through the drive thru.
Leaving him stuck.

Finally, after one of my trips back to the table and back to the front,
the manager came out front.
Saw all the people waiting.
Saw all the orders stacked up waiting to be divied up.
and went to work.

Nearly my sister's food was given away to another customer, but they were like "This isn't right." And I came to the rescue saying that it was mine.
Grabbed the tray and took it back to my sister.
And went back to wait for mine.
I saw the cashier had moved to the back grabbing things out to fry them as the manager worked to get the orders out, but he disappeared. Only to be called up to the front by the manager as he realized two ladies waiting in line hadn't gotten their order yet. Honestly I think he was trying to hide from the nightmare of a dinner rush.... but in any case.

I stood there.
Patiently waiting for my food.
As one.
Two.
Three.
Four.
Orders of other people's food that ordered AFTER me
Went out to be devoured.

Finally.
After the friers dinged.
And the manager went to the back to grab out some chicken strips that I had ordered.
did I realize why it was taking so long for mine order.
Because it wasn't just an easy sandwich and fries.
I'd ordered chicken strips to try them out.
And that had been my downfall in getting food quickly.
Because they had to cook. They had to be pulled out from the freezer...and in the rush...I'm guessing that part was forgotten...>.<

Finally though.
FINALLY
My food was brought out to me.

I came forward as my name was called,
And the manager pulled out this silver case.
Which confused me, because it didn't look like a packet of ranch that I'd ordered to eat with the chicken strips.
and I didn't know why he was pulling it out now...
But then he gave me a card.
A card for a free combo meal the next time I come in.
And apologized for the wait.

Which surprised and touched me. :)
I hadn't expected anything from the long wait.
I just wanted my food to eat, and then get going.
As by that point...we really needed to get going.

I'm grateful that he was considerate enough to acknowledge that the wait for my food had been too long.
And I'm guessing it's because I didn't complain that I got it...but who knows. :)
It was a cool gesture really.

And the manager made sure to drop by and visit the tables to double check that everything was tasting good.

It was just one of those moments when they'd been caught unprepared.
Where a new guy was on shift.
Where he'd moved like molasses even though everyone else around him was hurrying.

I totally get it. Those things happened.
And so, I figured I'd let them know that I understood, and didn't hold a grudge about waiting for my food.
I reached out to the bell they had hanging by the door.
and rang it.
to say that I liked their service. And I hoped, to give them a boost of confidence, and know that they were still doing a good job even after the crazy. :)

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment