Saturday, July 23, 2016

Blinded by the Light

Major guilt trip happening right now.
Which is annoying.
Because 1. Nobody got hurt. And 2. Its not like I can go back in time and change anything.

It was just like...Emotions went on high alert as I was halfway terrified for my life.

Why?
Well...
It was my fault.

I nearly caused a car accident. T_T

So.
It was evening time.
Sun not yet at the horizon, but it was setting.

And with the roads where I live....
If you drive along certain roads.
You totally get blinded by that sun when it hits the right evening angle.

I was out driving.
Heading to a friends house to watch a movie.
And I'd just pulled onto the street in front of her place.
There was a car behind me.
So I pulled over to the right side of the road in preparation to make a U-turn so I could park in front of her place.
The street in front of me had been clear. As in, I hadn't seen any cars coming.
Glanced in the mirror, and saw that the car behind me had turned into a driveway behind me.

So I thought my way was clear.
So I swung out in the middle of the road to make that U-Turn.

All I remember is that the Sunlight was super bright.
Then there was this long HOOOONNNKKKK of a car horn.
Which startled me.
As the road had been clear!!
I looked widely around.
Looked to my right and saw this fancy white corvette type car. like a foot from my car.
Laying into the car horn like there was no tomorrow.

I panicked.
Like "CRAP!! I gotta get out of the road!!"
And I was like. I have no idea if anyone is behind me.
And backing up at this point felt like a bad idea.
So I completed the U-turn, as I figured that that was the fastest way to get out of the white car's path.
But instead of buzzing around me flipping my the bird or whatever angry drivers do nowadays.
The white car stayed behind me.
I signaled with my blinker, that I was pulling off.
Which I was. Since this happened in front of my friend's place.

And this white car with this Domino's Pizza delivery sign on top pulls up next to me. :S
There's this guy in the car.
Gesturing angry like the "What in the world were you thinking!! Did you not see me?! I could have hit you!!"
Which luckily he didn't and I didn't.

Because someone was paying attention to the road. -_-

I gestured in apologies, mouthing I was sorry, but he wasn't leaving.
So I rolled down my window.
And in that terrified girly apologetic voice I was like "I'm sorry! So sorry! I didn't see you!! I'm sorry. The light blinded me. I didn't see you!"
Which with the repeated apologies seemed to calm him down a bit.

And with a handful of more apologies.
He drove off.

Probably thinking "Stupid girl drivers." Or something like that.

But honestly.
I had no idea he was there.
He really came out of nowhere for me.
It had been like what...5 seconds? Between pulling over to the side of the road, checking my mirror, and then attempting that U-Turn.
I didn't see him. At. All.

luckily he saw me.
Because with the sun in my eyes. I probably would have never seen him, nor known that he'd been there had he not gone crazy with the horn.

Thankfully....he probably thought I was a young inexperienced driver. Fresh to college or whatever. (as I look rather young for my age)
So he hopefully won't think much more on it....hopefully.
fingers crossed right?

*sighs*
In any case.
We're both safe.
Both cars undamaged.

But I can't help feeling guilty about the whole thing.
Even hours and hours later.

Because it could have been a lot worse.

And it's that "What if." scenario that has me feeling guilty about the whole incident.

Not a great way to end the day for sure....

Note to self: Watch out for Delivery guys. They can appear out of nowhere.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment