Thursday, November 3, 2016

The Strong Current

Years ago, while at the beach with my family, I noticed signs and flags warning us of a strong current flowing away from the shore into deep, turbulent water.
Invisible to my untrained eyes but easily detected by lifeguards on a nearby watchtower, the powerful current posed a danger to all who left the safety of the shore and entered the water.
I remember rationalizing, "I'm a strong swimmer.
Swimming will be great exercise.
I'll be safe in the shallow water."

Ignoring the warnings and feeling confident in my own judgment, I entered the water to enjoy a "refreshing" swim.
After a few minutes I looked up to locate my family on the nearby beach, but the beach was no longer nearby!
The deceptive current I had been warned of had captured me and was quickly pulling me away from my family.

Confidently at first and then desperately, I tried to swim toward shore, but the unforgiving current dragged me farther and farther into deeper, rougher water.
I became exhausted and began choking on inhaled water.
Drowning became a real possibility.
My energy gone, I frantically and finally called out for help.

Miraculously, it seemed, a lifeguard was immediately at my side.
I wasn't aware that he had watched me go into the water.
He knew the current would capture me and he knew where it would take me.
Avoiding the current, he swam around and just beyond where I was struggling; then he patiently waited for me to call for help.
Too weak to swim to shore alone, I was and still am grateful for his rescue.
Without his help I never could have made it back to my family.

That day I made a poor choice that produced potentially serious consequences for me and for my family.
As we now consider together the gift of choice, I pray that the Holy Ghost will help each of us individually evaluate the choices we are making.

-Randall K. Bennett -Choose Eternal Life -October 2011 General Conference

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment