Thursday, December 15, 2016

A Nickel

The Savior once asked His disciples the following question: "What shall a man give in exchange for his soul?"

This is a question that my father taught me to carefully consider years ago.
As I was growing up, my parents assigned me chores around the house and paid me an allowance for that work.
I often used that money, a little over 50 cents a week, to go to the movies.
Back then a movie ticket cost 25 cents for an 11-year-old.
This left me with 25 cents to spend on candy bars, which cost 5 cents apiece.
A movie with five candy bars!
It couldn't get much better than that.

All was well until I turned 12.
Standing in line one afternoon, I realized that the ticket price for a 12-year-old was 35 cents, and that meant two less candy bars.
Not quiet prepared to make that sacrifice, I reasoned with myself, "You look the same as you did a week ago."
I then stepped up and asked for the 25-cent ticket.
The cashier did not blink, and I bought my regular five candy bars instead of three.

Elated by my accomplishment, I later rushed home to tell my dad about my big coup.
As I poured out the details, he said nothing.
When I was finished, he simply looked at me and said, "Son, would you sell your soul for a nickel?"
His words pierced my 12-year-old heart.
It is a lesson I have never forgotten.

-Robert C. Gay -What Shall a Man Give in Exchange for His Soul? -October 2012 General Conference

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment