Thursday, December 29, 2016

Following In Step

Many years ago my children and I hiked to the top of South Sister, a 10,358-foot mountain in Oregon.
After several hours we encountered a long 45-degree slope of tiny volcanic pebbles.
With the summit in sight, we pressed on only to find that with every step, our feet would sink in the pebbles, causing us to slide backward several inches.
My 12-year-old son forged ahead as I stayed with my 8-year-old daughter.
Fatigue and discouragement soon set in, and she was heartbroken, thinking that she might not join her brother at the top.
My first impulse was to carry her.
My spirit was willing, but sadly my flesh was weak.
We sat own on the rocks, assessed our situation, and devised a new plan.
I told her to put her hands in my back pants pockets, hold on tight, and--most important--as soon as I lifted my foot to take a step, she should quickly put her foot in its place.
She mirrored my every move and relied on the lift that came from hanging on to my pockets.
After what seemed like an eternity, we made it to the top of the mountain.
Her expression of triumph and satisfaction was priceless.
And yes, she and her brother were, in my estimation, real hikers.

My daughter's success was a result of her diligent effort and how well she hiked after the manner  that I hiked.
As she synchronized her movement with mine, we achieved a rhythm together, allowing me to utilize my full energy.
Such is the case when we teach "after the manner of the workings of the Spirit."
As we align the manner of our teaching to match that of the Holy Ghost, the Spirit strengthens us and, as the same time, is not constrained.
With this in mind, please consider two fundamental "workings of the Spirit" worthy of our emulation.

-Matthew O. Richardson -Teaching after the Manner of the Spirit -October 2011 General Conference

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment