Wednesday, December 7, 2016

The Unique Fish

A benefit of working in a Pet Store is that I can have a Ton of "Pets" but once my shift is over, I can head home for the day and not have to worry any longer about the animals there. It's like moonlighting as a Pet Owner I suppose. I can have all the snakes, birds, hamsters, cats, and fish that I want.
Without the cost of having to take care of them. lol.

Which has been a system that's worked well for me.
Since I've grown up with animals, it was always slightly difficult to not have Pets once I moved away from home to go to school.
I mean, I've basically always had a small fish tank.

But the other pets that I grew up with.
I couldn't have due to student housing.

Like I said, it's a system that's worked well for me.
Able to have a million pets.
The downside though...

Is obviously when my 'favorites' get sold.
After all, it is a Pet Store, the animals aren't there for display.
They're there to find homes.

Some animals stay longer than others.
Some animals I like more than others.

And obviously. I have some favorites.

Like the Reddish Brown short-haired Syrains, or when we carried Frilled Dragons.

Yes, it's always slightly heart-breaking to have favorites find their homes.

So.
Back in August.
When we got a shipment of fish.

I expected the same thing to happen.
It was the week before I went on vacation with my family.

I was working the fish shipment -which is by far my favorite task at work as I get to see all the new fish that come in. :D I like to see the different colors and markings the fish get.
Usually it's the guppies and the balloon belly mollies and the goldfish that catch my interest as their colors change. Everyone else basically stays the same.

And in that August Shipment
We received in a Large Oranda Goldfish.
-The ones that look like they have brains coming out of their heads.

Always a favorite of mine. I like the look of them. :)
And usually these guys come in Orange.
Sometimes Orange and White.
More rarely a Calico or a Silver.

But this particular Oranda.
He was mostly Brown with a golden belly. And a bright Orange 'Brain'

It was unique coloring for sure.
As I'd never seen just the Orange 'brain' part before.
Usually brown goldfish are all Brown.
They don't often get a Bright Orange color to them.
Or if they do then they're mostly Orange with a brown stripe or something.

But no.
This fish had an Orange Brain and BrownishGold Body.

HE WAS SO COOL!!

And it was automatically depressing because I was heading out to Oregon the next day for over a week.
So I wouldn't get the chance at all to see this beautiful new fish we'd got in.
As I fully expected it to be gone when I got back.

I wanted him.
Desperately.

But at that point, I didn't have a fish tank. At that point I wasn't even positive yet that I could have a fish tank in my new place. I knew my roomie had said I could. But until things happen I don't usually want to put much hope in that.

Besides.
Even if he was still there after I got back from Vaca.

It was very likely he wouldn't be there when I got my fish tank.
As even though my roomies said I could have one,
I wasn't going to buy a tank until November. Until Black Friday.
Because I could save myself a ton of money that day with the Tank/Stands going half off.

But then.
Black Frida happened.
I got my tank!

And the fish was still there.

It took me another week to be able to set up my tank.
This recent weekend actually.

It was Monday where I finally turned on the filters, the heaters, the lights, had the tank full of water.

And the fish was still there.

But I'm an old hand with tanks.
I knew buying fish right away was a bad idea.
I would give myself at least 48 hours.
Let the tank run empty for that long.

In reality I was going to wait until This Weekend to buy Fish.

But today.
I was staring at my beautiful Orange Topped Brown Oranda Goldfish.

As he was Still. There.

Which at this point I was like: "Great. He's still here, but the day I actually want to buy him, he's going to get sold."
Because that's how things work out  more often than not.

But it was Wednesday.
It was nearly 48 hours since I'd set up my tank.
And he was there.

My manager was like "I'm going to do my best to not sell him so you can get him."
As all my coworkers knew at this point that I wanted him. lol.

I smiled and stayed quiet.
Because if I voiced my desire, told anyone online or via text about my plan to buy the fish.
Someone would walk in and get my fish.

Because unknown to everyone but me.
I was buying My Goldfish today.

Because I was positive that if I waited until Saturday. Someone would buy him.
I was so close.
It was totally going to happen because I was so close.

So I jumped the gun.

*gleeful smile*

And as soon as my shift was over.
My Goldfish was in a Bag.
In my hand.
And I was at the Register.
Paying for him.

He.
Is.
MINE!!!

After 4 months.
4 months swimming around our tanks.
My Fish has come to his permanent home in my tank!!!

Oh, you don't know how wonderful the feeling is.
To watch him zooming around the tank.

It makes me so happy.
The Goldfish, which I've named Big Ben.

Is Mine!












Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment