Saturday, December 3, 2016

Go Away People

It was one of those moments.
That you read about, see in a show, look at in a comic.

Where I basically collapsed onto my bed and pulled every single blanket that I had over me and created a little mound of blankets with me underneath it all. In my own little cave. My own little hideout from the world where I could pretend that no one else existed and just...unwind.

Because today.
Today was difficult.

Which is saying something considering that I've been working at my job for a while now.
And in a real sense, today wasn't even one of those 'bad days' at work.
Yet somehow it was.

I think it just stemmed from frustration.
Irritated frustration.

As you see.
I was scheduled by myself.
For an eight hour shift.
On a Saturday.

Which is crazy.
Considering that we had at least three cashiers for most of the day.
Yet, they couldn't schedule a second person in my while I was there?

It's irritating.
Frustrating.

Especially for the stupid reason behind it.
The stupid reason, as always, being "Money."

Work wants us to 'Save money"
Because we're already "Over Budget" "Over Hours."

And so the consequence for my department.
Is that they're cutting down people in the department.
Only having one closer.
Only having one opener on Saturdays.

Basically crippling my department.

While I see no noticeable cripplement in others. >.<

And that's why it's irritating.
Frustrating.
Why it's getting under my skin.

It's not like a month's worth of cut backs is going to change how far over budget we are.

It's just going to make life torturous for those who do have to work by themselves for entire shifts.
Because this stupid plan to cut back hours had to take place during the BUSIEST TIME OF THE YEAR.
Come on.
How stupidly idiotic can it be.
To cut back on people working in the store, when Christmas time basically guarantees that there will be twice if not three times as many people in the store!

It's going to result in long lines. In frustrated customers. In bad customer service rep, and hassled coworkers.
It's stupid.
So. Very. Stupid. To cut back on my department.

I mean,
I heard the registers all day today. "Third cashier." "Fourth cashier" "Third Cashier" "Third Cashier" Forth Cashier"

You don't know how much I wished I had backup of my own.
But I didn't.
Instead. I had to say "Sorry, there are two other people in front of you, I'll get to you as soon as I can."
And I had to run around with my head cut off as I was called to Fish, Cats, Hamsters, Fish, Fish, Crickets, Birds."
And the customers.
Did.
Not.
Stop.
Coming!

To make matters worse, the coworkers who were supposed to come in to cover me, got caught up in grooming or at the register and couldn't come over to assist me.

And then the manager had the gall to be like "Who else is in the department with you?"
And I had to say. "No one. I'm by myself til I'm off."

And have the manager look over and see the crowd of people waiting to be help.
To realize how dumb idea it was to be the one to schedule me by myself in said department.
And got me temporary help.

I mean. I'm amazing. I'm the most experienced in said department.
But even I can't be four places at once.

And still the customers came.
Most were good experiences, granted, everyone thankfully was understanding. But there were customers I just wanted to strangle as they dithered and didn't listen to me, and wasted my time as I was trying to quickly get through everyone as by this point I was twenty minutes over my shift.

And still the customers came.

Then finally. I saw a break of freedom.
My coworker free, I gave her keys and phones.
I made a break for it.
Only to have a manager try to stop me to help yet another customer.

I nearly burst into tears there because at this point all I wanted was to Go. Home.
"I want to help, but I should have been off 45 minutes ago." I found myself saying.
To which he understood.
As we were trying to NOT have people work over their shifts since they're trying to 'save hours'
Saving hours that got us into this mess.

A mess that I left.
Finally.
Where there were people waiting for help at reptiles, at fish, at hamsters, at birds, at cats....
But the manager had told me to leave.
So I left.
Left it to my coworkers who FINALLY showed up when they should have bailed me out 45 minutes earlier.
And not just assumed that I had it covered.
Coworkers who should have realized that I was off. But of course, no one pays attention to when anyone else is off besides me. They just think on when they're off. *shakes head*

Needless to say.
I was glad to get home.
Glad to get away from "Black Friday part 2" crowds.
And curl up under my covers.

Pretending no one else existed for a bit.

Because I really had too much people time today at work.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment