Wednesday, December 28, 2016

An Ill Treament

I knew it was a possibility when I got my fish tank.
The fact that my fish may get sick.

But it didn't really sink in how much of a hassle it is to treat a tank...when it's 125 gallons, until now.

As most chemicals used to treat sick fish are geared towards smaller tanks.
Huge tanks like mine....
Well. It's difficult to not spend a lot of money on the treatments. *exhales*

In any case.
I've been hit with a rush of different illnesses with my fish.
*shrugs*
It was kinda expected really.
I adopted fish from a different tank,
I bought feeder goldfish.

Both could be causes of spreading illnesses with my other fish that I got from work. *shrugs*

First it was a possible fungus.
Which thankfully, disappeared after treatment.
But I noticed as I was treating for the fungus that one of my fish had ick...
So I raised the temperature in my tank while treating.
And that seemed to make the ick go away.
Only for me to notice it bad on a couple other fish the day before yesterday. >.< Foo.
I could keep the temperature raised, but I didn't want more of my fish to catch the ick.
So to the store I went yesterday to get ick treatment. *exhales*
Thankfully it's seeming to do the trick, the ick spots are already looking less vibrant.

However. >.<
I noticed the Third Illness today.
My poor giant goldfish, Big Ben was swimming about, when I noticed that there seemed to be air bubbles around his eyes. You know like those plastic bags blown up with air? But surrounding both of my goldfish's eyes.
I wasn't sure if that actually was normal or not....I thought it wasn't as I hadn't noticed it before, but I double checked w/ pictures to make sure.
Yah. Not normal.
Research online tells me that it's a type of Pop Eye.
.....a difficult pop eye to treat.
As its most likely caused by some sort of bacterial infection INSIDE the fish. And it's harder to treat things inside the fish than outside the fish. Foo.
My dad says it's basically the same bacterial infection that I got infect with. You know with my finger and swollen lymph nodes that are STILL healing over a year later. *exhales*
-Thankfully it's continuing to heal so hopefully it will be gone....in another month or so. *rolls eyes
In any case.
If it wasn't a bacterial infection inside the fish, then it's either lack of food, or bad water quality that caused it. :S
I doubt it's bad water as the tank isn't even a month old yet.
Lack of food....possibility. I'm trying to not overfeed my tank, so perhaps the goldfish is getting less food then he's used to at work.... :S But I'm trying to feed more to make sure my hungry goldfish doesn't go hungry....
Soo...treatment if its a parasite.
Basically add in some Aquarium salt to relieve pressure behind the eyes causing the swelling.
And once I'm done treating for the ick in the tank (and get paid) I'll grab some melafix to treat the tank with next to see if that helps.

Problem is....the PopEye may never go away. It could be a permanent issue Big Ben will have to deal with....I hope it goes away, but who knows.
For now, I'm going to test my water when I get into work at the morning.
and hope that things sort themselves out.

Also that I don't have to deal with any more sicknesses once I get this set under control. >.<

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment