Thursday, May 25, 2017

Constant Writing

Many years ago dear friends of mine, Craig Sudbury and his other, Pearl, came to my office prior to Craig's departure for the Australia Melbourne Mission.
Fred Sudbury, Craig's father, was noticeably absent.
Twenty-five years earlier, Craig's mother had married Fred, who did not share her love for the Church and, indeed, was not a member.

Craig confided to me his deep and abiding love for his parents and his hope that somehow, in some way, his father would be touched by the Spirit and open his heart to the gospel of Jesus Christ.
I prayed for inspiration concerning how such a desire might be fulfilled.
The inspiration came, and I said to Craig, "Serve the Lord with all our heart.
Be obedient to your sacred calling.
Each week write a letter to your parents, and on occasion, write to Dad personally, and let him know how much you love him, and tell him why you're grateful to be his son."
He thanked me and, with his mother, departed the office.

I was not to see Craig's mother for some 18 months, when she came to my office and, in sentences punctuated by tears, said to me, "It has been almost two years since Craig left for his mission.
He has never failed in writing a letter to us each week.
Recently, my husband, Fred, stood up for the first time in a testimony meeting and surprised me and shocked everyone who was there by announcing that he had made the decision to become a member of the Church.
He indicated that he and I would go to Australia to meet Craig at the conclusion of his mission so that Fred could be Craig's final baptism as a full-time missionary."

No missionary stood so tall as did Craig Sudbury when, in far-off Australia, he helped his father into water waist-deep and, raising his right arm to the square, repeated those sacred words: "Fredrick Charles Sudbury, having been commissioned of Jesus Christ, I baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost."

Love had won its victory.
Serve the Lord with love.

-Thomas S. Monson -Come, All Ye Sons of God -April 2013 General Conference

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment