Sunday, May 14, 2017

A Lil Tradition

The Miss USA pageant was on tonight.

And I honestly wouldn't have realized it was on -because my TV doesn't get stations currently. (just good old Netflix and DVDs)
Until my mom brought up that it was.

And tried as I could to see if I could stream the show online.
...I couldn't.

Which was rather depressing, because guys...it's 2017, shouldn't everything be available online yet?!! ;) lol.

But in any case.
It was mostly the thought of "awww."
Because when I was younger.
It was a tradition for Mother Dearest and I to watch the pageants together.
Miss USA being the most common, but we'd watch the others as well.

With occasionally my siblings and my Daddoo joining in. lol.

But we'd watch it together, first to see what everyone's names were.
Because obviously if one of the state representatives had my name I totally wanted them to win!
And if Kikay was present, we'd divide up the contestants Brown/Black hair against Blonde/Red hair (since Kikay and I have different hair colors) and have 'my team' against 'her team' so we could see which of us would 'win' in the end. lol.

Once the introductory stage of the pageant was over.
It came down to the states and the first elimination round.
We'd cross our fingers. Hope that my Mom's childhood home state, and our current home state would make it past the first elimination.
(It's a rare blue moon occurrence for that to happen.)

And the competition would go on.
We'd mourn our favorites being slowly kicked out of the running as the group was whittled down smaller and smaller and smaller.

The highlight of the show for sure is the Evening Gowns though. ^^ lol. We'd rate how much we love the dresses from 1-10.
;) usually the one with the prettiest dress we wanted to win of course.

And then.
The final questions.
The final moments.
The "Who is going to win?!"

And either celebration or quiet mourning if our chosen contestant won/lost.

lol.
It was a fun family tradition growing up.
And being reminded of it tonight had me feeling quiet nostalgic.

I love those quiet moments.
Those simple bonding times.
Those little traditions that stay around. :)

It's the best.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment