Tuesday, May 22, 2018

A Frustrating Day

It's apparently one of those weeks....

Where I just can't get things done at work.

Which is always frustrating for me. Because I'm used to being able to get things done. 

*shakes head*

But this week is the week where the scheduling is just...a miss.
I mean, it's hard to predict just how busy the store is going to be on any given day.
But this week....hasn't worked well so far.

For one, we're a little short handed due to people being on vacation or sick.

For two.... 
Apparently after a month vacation....
Customers have remembered we exist.
As there has been an increase in traffic again in the mornings after a long lull where I barely spoke to anyone during my shifts.

But the last two days.
Oh yah, I talked to a ton of people.
It's like all the customers who forgot to come in Saturday came in yesterday and today. 

That or I'm just more aware of all the customers in the store...because like....it feels like I've been the one who has to go and help everyone that needs help. 

As it's really just been me, the manager, and the cashier in the store the past couple of mornings.
And if the manager is busy....and the cashier can't leave the register....that leaves me to go to the rescue. 

*exhales*

Today was frustrating.
Like I said.
I'm used to getting things done. 
But today and yesterday I was off a couple of hours earlier than usual. 
Which, again, not usually a big deal. Because most of the time I get things done just after the lunch rush. So I'm often searching for things to do. 

But today....it felt like I was the only one in the store.
I was just trying to get the bedding change done before I left. 
But we got hit with a mid morning rush.

And the cages I was cleaning, is like in the center point in the store. Where I'm basically the most visible and most accessible person to customers (besides the cashier at the front of the store) So I had people from everywhere coming up to me asking for help.
Help with dog stuff, help with cat stuff, help with bird things, help with fish. 

And then the cashier was constantly needing back up or help at the register.
And then the manager needed to go do some interviews for prospective new employees and left me the keys to handle any managerial duties the register might need.
Only the problems with the register were things I couldn't just solve with a set of keys, because I have no idea how to open the cash drawer nor do I know how to fix a frozen register. *exhales* 

Plus the coworker in my department went on lunch because she needed to take the break before I was gone. 
The phone wouldn't stop ringing off the hook either.
Nor did it help that we had at least two if not three field trips of children (like a group of 30 each time) come into the store clamoring at the top of their voices. 

And I hate loud noises. 

So overall I spent a good couple of hours rushing back and forth between my department, the registers, and the rest of the store trying to ensure everyone was happy and getting helped and GAH. 

I hate those moments.
I hate feeling like I'm the only one in the store.
Because I can't be multiple places at once.
And I can't always help the customer satisfactorily.
Nor can I Get. The. Bedding. Change. Done. If I'm pulled away from it every thirty seconds!

>.< 
I didn't get it done.
I spent 5 hours of my shift trying to get the bedding change done.
And by the time I was off, there was still one row of cages that needed to be cleaned and everything  within all the cages needed to still be put back....
*shakes head*

Frustrating.
It was just frustrating today.

We'll see how tomorrow goes.....

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves. 
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment