Saturday, May 19, 2018

Just Wanna Go Home

I don't know quite what triggered this past migraine that's been plaguing me for the past three days. 

I mean, I'm pretty sure it was not getting enough sleep that triggered it because Thursday I woke up super tired. Which meant that I really needed sleep. 
And unfortunately for me....I had to go to work. Which meant I couldn't go back to sleep like I desired to. *exhales* 
Add onto that that there was a District Manager who came to visit the store Thursday which meant stress levels everywhere were high. 
So me being tired and then surrounded by stress??
Yah, not a good combo. 

But like a little sleep should have helped it right?

*exhales*
Obviously not because today I still had the headache upon waking. Which is frustrating because I spent like all of yesterday sleeping to keep it at bay. *shakes head*

In any case.
Three days of dealing with constant pain in my skull resulted in me being...well...with very little energy.
So like spending today doing customer service at work?
Not the best of ideas. 

Especially since like after talking to the first customer of the day I was already suffering with a spike in the pain of my headache. 

Because of course the first customer of the day had to be a difficult customer where I couldn't give them a good answer and that left me feeling frustrated because I wanted to be able to help them....

But in any case.
I wasn't doing good.
I mean, I was functional, and the headache itself was relatively minor compared to other bad ones I've had. 

But considering I'd already dealt with 2 days of it and was heading into my third...
I just wanted to go home.

The problem though, was that like most Saturdays, I was the only one scheduled to open. 
And I'm one of those people who can't just....call out. No I want to make sure that there's coverage and such.

-And half the reason why I went to work was to see if being active and doing things would help my headache go away.

But like an hour after we'd opened the store...I was already mentally done for the day.
Even though I still had like 5 hours left in my shift...

But there were no cashiers or stockers in the store that were certified in my department.
So it wasn't like I could just call it quits then. 
(I know I could have, but again, I hate leaving my dept in a bind.) 

So I had the plan to go to the manager once my coworker got in at 1:30. 
Which, I would be off two hours after that....
But if I waited until my coworker got there, then I could just ask to leave. Since I'd have coverage and the day wasn't that busy (which is odd for a Saturday) and it would be good.

Only at like 11:30, the manager took a phone call.
And I only heard bits of it while I was helping another customer nearby.
But the "Oh, I hope you feel better tomorrow since you're scheduled then." 

Which meant....someone was calling out.
And I could only figure that that someone....was my replacement at 1:30. 

So when I got the chance, I went to the manager to confirm my suspicions. 
Which yep. 
My 1:30 coworker had just called out sick. *exhales*
And I could have left at 1:30 anyways because my manager would be in then, to watch the department.
But....he ended up needing to go grab some animals from the vet, so he showed up like an hour later.....

Which basically meant that I had no one in the department with me at all today. 
Thankfully it was slow.
But nobody would be coming in until I was off at 3:30. 

So at 11:30 I already knew....I wouldn't be leaving early.

Despite me wanting to.
I knew it wouldn't be happening.
I'm too stubborn like that.

So I stuck around my entire shift.
Managing to somehow keep the headache at manageable levels. (Yay Mountain Dew)

But the managers knew it was something was up.
Because almost every one was like "Are you okay, Sarnic?" 
And I was like "I've had a migraine for three days now I am not here mentally."
To which they sympathized and such. 
And they know me well enough to know that I don't usually request to go home when I have headaches because I am stubborn enough to work through almost all of them. 

I just....hate it.
Hate it that the days I seriously consider leaving work early....
I end up being unable to because someone else calls out sick, or something happens that prevents me from being able to leave and like.....why?
Is it a test? Is it a trial?? 

*shakes head*

I dunno. 
I mean....I know I could leave anyways, I just....find it stressful to do so. I don't like leaving my department short-handed. Especially if other coworkers have already left us shorthanded because they called out sick.

But seriously....
I wonder what it's like...to be able to just wake up and go "Nope, not coming into work today" and call work and call in sick.

*exhales*
Well maybe next time if I'm in desperate need...I'll be able to leave.

But at least I found the strength and fortitude to make it through my shift today. ^^;; 

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment