Monday, March 4, 2019

Amount of Fish?

The problem with asking multiple people at my job the same question is that either a) You will get a different answer from everyone because each person has their own experience/opinion about the question or b) You get the same answer from everyone because they all go to me to get the answer. 

In this case.
The situation kinda involved more of option a.

A woman and her son came into the store today to return a dead fish.
The lady didn't have a receipt though because "you looked it up last time can't you do it again?" 
Which *exhales* We can look up receipts so long as you remember the right phone number but it takes less time if you have the receipt with you on your phone or on paper because then I don't have to walk all the way up to the register to find your receipt and walk all the way back...like I could have been catching fish five minutes ago if you'd only had the receipt on you.

In any case.
They were returning a dead glofish and wanted to get a replacement.
And in my search for their receipt, I noticed that they had returned fish before for this tank.

In any case. 
I think the customer wanted to know how many fish she could put in the tank.
And so I asked her what size of tank she had...as that drastically influences the number of fish you can have.

To which she stated that she had like a 3 gallon tank. 
And I told her that usually we would recommend only 2 or 3 fish in the tank.

She didn't like that much. "I was told SIX!" was her response along with "Everytime we come into this place a person tells us something different!" 

Well....are you telling the coworker the same story? Because I don't think anyone in my department would tell you six fish for a three gallon tank....so unless you said a different size...we usually don't recommend six fish until you get at least a 10 gallon tank and even then it should be smaller fish. 

In any case.
I explained that if she wanted to do water changes more often and change the filter more often then she could possible still have six fish in the tank. 
However I would still recommend two or three fish.

She then pointed to the Danio tag and said "But look! It says right here that these fish can go in a three gallon tank!" 
And I was like "Yah...but that's Per Fish. As in ONE fish would need a Three Gallon tank to be happy." 

That made her change her tune rather quickly....I wonder if coworkers actually recommended six fish for a three gallon tank or if she just assumed so because of what she saw on the fish tag. 

In any case.

She only had three danios left in the tank.
So I told her that it would be better to get her money back on the dead fish and give the tank at least a week to settle because if you keep adding in fish more fish are going to die because their stress levels keep increasing. 
Though I did tell her that I would stick with two or three fish to keep the tank more stable.

Hopefully the other three do well in that tank. *fingers crossed*

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi


No comments:

Post a Comment