Sunday, March 10, 2019

....Why?

I wonder about my coworkers a lot.
Mostly in the 'what are they thinking' sort of fashion.
Because honestly I wonder sometimes what goes on in their heads.

So this afternoon, like right after lunch.

I get a text from work.

Where apparently my coworkers decided that they needed to treat the fish system for Ick, but they weren't sure how to do that with the turtles now integrated in the fish system (as we'd moved them into one of the tanks recently)

And their solution had been to take the turtles out of the tank while the entire wall was being treated.
Which left them with the dilemma of "What do we do with the turtles now?"
Because we don't have a spot for them on the endcap as that's why they'd been moved to the wall.

Like...they could place them in a temporary tank we have for when we have to take reptiles off the floor. But they're healthy.....
So in the middle of their dithering they decided to text me to see what I would do.

And I...just had to shake my head.
As like...I'm pretty sure the lockline -the device that brings water into the tanks-for the turtle tank is one of the new ones that has a 'twisty' knob on it that allows you to decide how much water can enter the tank. Which means you can completely close it off so no fresh water comes into the system so that the fish can be treated along the wall without the turtle tank being affected.

But since the turtles were out of the tank system I could only assume that they'd already treated the tank....so closing the lockline wasn't an option.
The next option was to place them temporarily into our Feeder Goldfish tanks as we have two empty ones at the moment and that system is on a different water thing, so unless they treated that separate system as well....the turtles should be fine. 

But then the text conversation continued in "Hey coworker treated with this chemical, two cup fulls, but the water still isn't blue...." 

….Which was when I demanded a picture of this 'ick' solution. 
Because...the only chemical that turns the water blue is one of the 'stronger' chemicals that only a manager should handle and use as it can stain the fingers blue as well and it's not good if it spills....
But it's also not used to treat ick most of the time.
It's used as a general cure sort of thing. 

But THEN
Before sending me the picture of the chemical -which was the chemical that only a manager should be handling.
The next text message came in saying that they were treating because the snail tanks have a bunch of worms in their tanks.

-Which...seeing worms in the tank isn't a major concern as I believe most of them are bloodworms that somehow managed to hatch from eggs that may have somehow managed to survive the freezing process (yes its possible) 
But also. We have two different snail tanks.
The one with our mystery snails in it isn't connected to the fish wall at all and so you'd have to treat the tank individually because no water from the wall flows into that tank. It's isolated.
But if it was the Nerite snails...then yes that would be on the fish wall.

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY.
The blue chemical DOESN'T TREAT WORMS.
So like they weren't even properly treating the tanks in the first place.
Because Ick isn't worms. Ick is white spots on the fish. 
Worms are more than often parasites.
And therefore should be treated with a parasite guard. 
Which in our store comes in tablets that you toss in one per tank. 
And to make sure it doesn't go into other tanks you would again, close the locklines to keep water from flowing in until the tablets dissolved. 

Which I told my coworkers.
And they came back with "but there's worms in the Koi tank as well and that doesn't have one of the new locklines." 

….First the snails and now the koi....*exhales*

I was like "Then while you're feeding the fish, treat those tanks." Because we turn off the entire fish system when feeding the fish to give the fish a better chance of getting food before it's swept away in the current. No current allows the tablets to dissolve and not immediately be taken to other tanks....

Like seriously....it seemed like such common sense to me. 
But apparently isn't. *exhales*

So I told them how to treat those tanks and mentioned that since the water hadn't turned noticeably blue that it should be fine putting the turtles back in their tanks.

And then I discovered when I came in later in the day....
That my coworkers had completely taken apart the filter in the mystery snail tank so it wasn't even working properly...
And that there was a tank in our wall that actually had ick.

*face palm* 

Can I just....be done with my coworkers today.
Because it's just....just frustrating.

Like I applaud that they were trying to take initiative.
But if you've never done something before....I would have probably checked in with someone experienced (and on the clock) first before attempting anything I've never done before because like....I'd want to avoid doing something wrong...

As it is.
Tomorrow sounds like it's going to be a day of complications.
Oh the joy.

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment