Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Morning Injury

Work got a bit of an auspicious start today.
In that I had a chance to follow in my Daddoo's footsteps and play nurse to a customer. 

You see.
We have these automatic doors right?
Ones that don't open unless we turn the switch to allow them to automatically open?

Well. 
We can also control how they open.
In that before the main store opens, but grooming is open we often have the switch for the door set to "Stay closed for people trying to enter, but opens for customers trying to leave the store." 

So.
We had a customer come to the door this morning, and instead of ringing the doorbell (as no one ever sees the doorbell) they pulled the door open themselves, as we had left it unlocked since grooming customers were coming in. 

Most of the time customers just throw those doors wide open if they decide to try and open them for themselves. 
A handful do try to close the doors behind them though, leaving them how they were when the customer showed up.

This customer who came into the store was one of the latter people.
He opened the doors, but decided to also close them as well.

Only.
We had the switch on. Where the doors would automatically open/close for customers leaving the store.

Well.
The mechanics kicked in.
And the doors automatically closed.
On the poor guy's finger.

And it wasn't a simple "AH MY FINGER GOT SMASHED!" 
No.
Dude was bleeding like crazy.
Got blood all over his pants poor guy.

He came up to us and was like "I'm bleeding I need a bandaid" 
So I was like "Let me see." 
I saw the blood and was like well shoot that is a lot of blood. So I directed him to the papertowels nearby on the cleanup station we have (for when puppies make messes in the store) while I ran to the office to grab the largest bandaids I could find.

it wasn't that large.
And when I got back the wound looked even worse.
Still. I put the band aid on and was going to call it good.

But the manager decided that we probably needed to make it better than that.
So we found some medical gauze in the first aid kit as well, and wrote off some medical bandages we had on the shelf (as puppies get hurt too) as well as grabbed some first aid ointment we had. 

In the meantime the customer had dropped off their dog...and we had him go wash his hand off so that we could get pictures of the injury. 
-As we weren't sure if we were liable for the customer getting hurt so took pictures to be on the safe side and grabbed his information. 

And yah. It wasn't pretty.
He had like nice gash on the tip of his finger right under the nail.
Honestly...it might need stitches though idk if you can do stitches on that part of the finger.

In any case.
The dude wasn't handling the amount of blood (nor possibly the pain he was experiencing) very well, so he sat down and I took initiative and helped to apply the ointment and wrap his finger in gauze and bandage. 
He was also looking a little pale. And his daughter asked if we had a water bottle.
Which I had one stashed away in my locker for situations like this (it hadn't been opened yet) and went and grabbed it as well as a granola bar to help him out.

Dude seemed alright when he left the store -after the manager also provided him with an icepack.

Still I feel for him.
It was quite the injury. :S 

I'm glad I was able to help how I could though. ^^;; He was grateful that I helped treated his finger as he wasn't in a state to do so. ^^;;

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment