Monday, June 15, 2020

Opening Late

So this week at work, we're trying something different. Where my managers are having us keep my department closed to animal sales in the morning, which will (hopefully) allow us to have more coverage in the evenings and be able to keep the department open in the afternoons when we get a lot more foot traffic in. 
As there aren't as many people who come in in the mornings to buy animals as there are in the afternoon.

And like...I'm pretty sure the main reason why we haven't tried to do later evenings before now was because we were trying to keep up with the opening tasks in the mornings which requires someone there in...well the mornings to do all the opening.

But this week. They were wanting to try a thing where like a manager would focus on doing the bedding change and maybe checking food/water for a couple of hours before the store opens.
And then we'd keep the department closed and do the actual opening of it in the afternoon when the 'closing' shift came in. Which for this week would be me.

And like originally I was scheduled to come in between 1-2pm this week and work until close.

But that's already changed lol.
I came in to my shift this afternoon to the head and vp managers being like "We hate this already." 

Which I can see why as they weren't going to have the department open until half an hour after I came in.

And considering we get busy a couple of hours before that point like around 11am for the lunch time rush.
It makes sense that they should probably try and have the department open a bit earlier than like 1 or 2 pm. 

So I came into work to find that they wanted to move up my work shift a couple of hours for the rest of the week. So I would be coming in at 11 instead of 1-2pm. 

Which. On the one hand it's not my favorite time slot. Working 11-730 is like...an all day endeavor. It feels like you miss out on the entire day as you can't really do much before your shift (especially if you sleep in) and can't really do much after your shift either. Especially during this time when stores and such are still closing at like 7pm (alot of them.) 

so yah it's like a full shift of customer service with few opening tasks and few closing tasks that need to be done.
Though thankfully since we're 'opening' the department later that does mean that I should still have plenty of opening tasks to do.

As when I came in my manager in charge of 'opening' had only done the bedding change. (and was later discovered only did half of the necessary bedding change. *exhales*) which left me with opening the rest of the department.
Plus. Because the manager left in charge of the mornings has well...never been an opener for petcare at all....it was quickly realized that having them do the bedding changes when they've never done them before was not a good idea.

So to top it off. They had me do tomorrow's bedding change this evening.
Which I wasn't too opposed to because a) it gave me something to do and b) meant one less worry about trying to get it done tomorrow as we try and figure out how to do a later opening for the department this week. 

Luckily...or oddly? Enough. It wasn't that busy today.
Like for it being a Monday...it felt pretty dead throughout the entire day with the exception of like the 6pm hour where it got a little crazy.
But that meant that it kinda felt like the morning shift.
Because there weren't that many people in the store. Which meant I was able to do a lot of the opening tasks with minimal interruption.
Which was great because if I keep getting interrupted at a task...it stresses me out because I just want to get the thing 'done' and if I get interrupted every five minutes to help a customer it just...irritates me. 

So yah.
While opening later today went well.
I am curious to see how the rest of the week goes. 
I kinda expect it's gonna be me working to put out all the fires honestly.
As this whole "let the managers open" thing would probably have gone a lot better if they had me or a couple of the more experienced coworkers train the manager in what exactly to do first before throwing them in the deep end.

So.....we'll see how this week goes.
At least I don't have to work until close the entire week. So that's great! ^^;; But we'll see if coming into work a couple of hours later helps or hinders....

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment