Thursday, August 6, 2020

Spending Money in the Early A.M.

There was a customer and her daughter that came into the store early this morning.

Like fifteen minutes before we actually opened early this morning. 

As I'm guessing that they were dropping off a pet to the vet or the groomers.

Because I'm not sure how else they would get into the store.

In any case they were looking at the fish and about five minutes before we opened, asked me if I could fish out some glofish for them.

Which technically I didn't have to because we weren't officially open yet. 

But I decided to humor them and help them catch their fish.

As the little girl wanted a pink glodanio and a orange glotetra.

Only there was a slight problem with that.

As the mother had only a one gallon princess castle tank in her basket. 

Which is far too small of a tank for those fish.

I told her they would need at least a five gallon if not larger for the fish to do well. And their tank would need a heater too.

But if she wanted to stay with the one gallon tank then going for a betta would be a better option as they can live in the smaller tanks and be fine. 

The daughter didn't want a betta fish though.

She wanted a glofish tank.

But the mother didn't want to spend a 'ton of money' on everything.

Which was interesting because the castle tank she got was like $32

There were plenty of other cheaper tanks than that that were bigger.

In any case.

I ended up convincing the customer that a ten gallon size tank would be best for the glofish. Which with the current sale we had going on the tank was only like $50.

But that was 'alot of money' for the customer and after hearing that that particular tank wouldn't have the blue lights to make the glofish glow, and after actually looking at the prices of the glofish.

Decided that it would be best to buy a couple cheaper platys instead.

Normally at this point I would tell a customer that they need to have their tank set up for at least 24 hours before buying any fish.

But I could tell that the customer was only doing this to make her daughter happy and I don't think she would have appreciated the wasted time of deciding on a tank only to be told she couldn't get fish today.

So I bagged up a couple of platys and recommended the water conditioner and fish food that they would need.

But like...the customer didn't even buy any gravel or decorations for the tank that I could tell.

*shakes head* Which is gonna make for a rather boring fish tank.

Though I could see why she didn't want to spend more money as it was since she was spending around $80 for her daughter already and I'm pretty sure she'd wanted to keep the budget below like...$30.

Still. I don't feel too bad. Like...you could have just gone for the betta fish. 

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment