Friday, June 4, 2021

Fledgling

 I found a little baby bird today. A fledgling.

It happened while I was taking out a curbside order for a customer who was waiting outside in their car.

And as I was crossing over the slight island dividing the curbside parking from the thoroughfare in front of the store.

I saw the little bird fluttering in the 'gutter' or at least the area next to the curb of the island since there's not really a gutter in that particular spot.

After giving the customer their order, I returned to the bird and confirmed that my first impression was correct. It was a baby bird and not just like a small finch.

I think the bird was a finch...but yah. It was a fledgling as it could flit about a bit and fly a little and perch. 

My first thought was to try and find the nest the bird may have come from.

But I couldn't see any, and after briefly taking the baby bird inside and googling things...they said that if it was a fledgling that you could just place the bird on a branch or something out of reach of dogs/cats animals on the ground and it should be fine.

Problem is...most of our trees are like...by roads or in the middle of our parking lot....

Still. I moved the bird to a quieter spot than the crazy area I found it in.

And placed the bird on a branch...it took like three tries because the bird kept flying back to the ground and landing in the grass...and like with how many dogs we have wandering around....not a good idea to leave the bird on the ground.

So yah. I returned the bird to a branch and made sure it was steadily placed before heading back inside. 

Hopefully the little bird does well.

Until you next find these words;
I'll be watching the leaves. 
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment