Thursday, June 17, 2021

Who Owes Who?

I had a couple come into the store tonight. Looking for some assistance with a couple of purchases and returns that they had made.

*shakes head*

Like I'm happy to help with returns and such when needed....but I really don't like it when people try to make it complicated.

And this couple made it complicated.

Or I suppose only as complicated as it can be when it's hot and you've been working for a good 6 hours or so already running all over the store putting out other fires that have been springing up like grooming drama and tag machine engraving drama and helping customer after customer.

To be brought up with yet another 'fire' in a complicated return....was not something I was looking forward to.

As apparently the couple had gotten a dog.

Bought a bunch of stuff.

But also returned a bunch of stuff.

And apparently whoever did the returns....didn't look at the cost of the items the couple had returned that closly.

As they had noticed that they'd been overpaid for some things (as in the price of the item had increased since they bought it and so they were given more money back than they'd originally paid for it) but for other items they'd been given less money back because the items had gone down in price for sales or clearance in the meantime. 

And the couple just wanted to make sure that everything was 'fair' whether or not that meant they owed the store money or we owed them money. 

And like...I get that you want to make sure you get the right amount of money back.

But honestly....it felt like a problem that they probably could have calculated out and figured out themselves. 

As they had me go through multiple receipts showing where they were paid a dollar more here, a dollar less here, six dollars more there, ten dollars less here. Etc. 

And I had to write down the various prices like "okay we paid you a dollar more here. But gave you a dollar less here." 

And the entire time I was writing things down I was just trying to figure out how in the world I would get these people their money if it ended up being that I owed them money.

Because like...I couldn't just open the till and give them their money back as these returns were made eon a different day and I would need to make sure my till was accurate and such.

But the items had already been returned...so I wasn't sure if I could 'sell the item' and then 'return the item' and get the customers their money back....like I didn't know if that would work out that way.

Not to mention the nightmare of including sales tax and such into the returns. *exhales*

Thankfully.

When all was said and done. We ended up giving the customers like a couple of dollars more than what we accidentally took away from them in the returns.

So I was like "It's two dollars. That's close enough to not matter." 

Because there was no way I was going to go through and return and sell and do all this stuff to get the 'correct amounts' into the register when the customer ended up getting just like Two bucks more than they should have.

Corporate doesn't monitor the transactions that closely. They don't know when the wrong amount of money has been returned for a product. It's not that smart of a system.

So having the person get a couple of dollars extra back on their card? Yah no big deal.

Plus it saved me like fifteen minutes of trying to run it all through the register.

But yah... *exhales* It was complicated thinking that I definitely didn't want to be doing so close to the end of my shift. *shakes head*

I'm glad the couple wanted to be honest. But I do wish they would have realized that the receipts were in their favor before coming all the way to the store and that two bucks doesn't matter that much in the end.

Until you next find these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment