Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Mind Reading

Some days I think I need to be more proactive in asking questions.
Asking for specifics.
Asking what I need to do/bring/prepare for.
Because otherwise...I come to things feeling confident.
And I find out that I'm completely clueless.

That's a stress spike for sure.

A week or so ago.
My teacher advisor for my committee contacted me wishing to meet with us before he disappeared for a while for vacation and such.
We ended up scheduling it for today because I was on vacation when he contacted me.
Well....the scheduled time came...and left....and I ended up calling him to see what had happened.
After all, alot of my committee, my cochair, and one of the presidents had come to this meeting.
And...I had no idea what we were meeting about.
All I knew was that the teacher advisor wanted to meet and talk about something.
So...I got him on the phone and he was ten minutes out.
And he wanted me to do the meeting for a bit and listed off like 10 things I needed to talk about.
But I had a hard time focusing on him because I was distracted by the committee talking and yah.

I felt like such a dolt.
Not coming prepared.
Not thinking.
Not doing alot of things.

So I tried to start the meeting.....
and the President interrupts asking if we can have an opening prayer.
(Okay...so it was a meeting dealing with Institute)
I was like 'sure!' (why didn't I think of that....)
....Okay so I did know to pray....but I tend to be a bit....more easy going, less formal for things compared to other committees when it comes to being 'formal' like having opening and closing prayers.
So I asked who wanted to pray. I wasn't going to voluntell someone to.
Someone does. And he stands up to give the prayer.
When the president suggests.
Why not go someplace quieter?

We had met in the 'commons area' of the institute because it was an easy place to find.

Yah basically for the first part of the meeting until the teacher advisor showed up.
I felt like I was treading a rushing river.
Still at the end of the two hours.
I felt pretty good. We'd bounced ideas back and forth. Trying to figure out how to get the 'less active and nonmembers' to come to institute, without feeling intimidated.

But still.
I felt there in the beginning pretty incompetent.
I realize I should have asked for more details about what the teacher advisor wanted to talk about.
Then figured out ideas to help out, and to make the meeting be a little smoother when he ended up being late.
However, I'm still transitioning from being the 'help' to being 'in charge'
At least its still summer when things aren't that bad if I mess up a little.
I'll need to be more on the ball.

And ask and demand answers.
So I don't feel like i was expected to mind read the intentions of others.
Because mind reading....is rather difficult.
Especially over the phone ;) lol

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

Due to a stress induced headache....my dream has fled from my mind. :( Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment