Sunday, July 31, 2011

Click Click Broken

Our Freezer broke.
We think it happened Friday around noon.
Though the time line isn't for sure.
Kikay said that it might have happened a little before I got home from helping a friend.
But soon after I got home -a little after noon.
I heard this clicking noise.
It sounded different from the clicking noise that usually accompanies the a/c turning on.
But it was similar to the sound the oven has when it is heating up.
I actually thought that the stove or oven might be on.
But whenever I looked over...
Everything was off. Cool. Not functioning.
It was annoying!
I could hear it!
Click
Click
Click
Click
and there was no source!
That evening Kikay went to work.
And i decided while she was gone, that I would get ice cream.
It was around 5 or 6pm.
I opened the freezer.
Pulled out the ice cream
Opened it.
Stuck a spoon in it.
And noticed....that the ice cream seemed a little melted.
I was a bit confused.
After all i had just taken the ice cream out of the freezer.
My first thought...was to blame Kikay.
She's left ice cream out before and its melted. (Meralto has done this too.)
So perhaps she had left it out.
And stuck it back in before she left.
But it had been hours since Kikay had gone to work.
Could it take hours for ice cream to refreeze itself?
I didn't know.
But I stuck the ice cream back in the freezer to let it 'harden up' more.
Around 9 or so I checked again.
The ice cream....had melted further.
I checked the ice cubes...they weren't melted.
The popsicles though...seemed a bit more squishy
Then freezer clicked when i was by the freezer.
It had come from there!
And I was like "OH NO!!"
because it was after hours with the office. So I couldn't tell them that our freezer was broken.
So we had to wait until the morning to ask for help.
Consequently....we lost our ice cream *sniff* as well as the popsicles *sniff* and Kikay's potpies *triple sniff from her* as well as other freezer items that weren't missed that much because they were getting old anyway and we probably wouldn't have eaten them.
-our food was lost because we couldn't find a neighbor in time to transfer food.
So bye bye freezer food.
Though we saved our jerky! Woot!
Anywho. We had to leave it over night.
But in the morning I went down to the office for help...
I ended up calling the maintenance guy myself.
(I hate leaving messages...)
And within the hour he'd shown up to look at the freezer.
He determined that a part had gone funky that he didn't know how to fix. (around 11am Saturday)
But...the other dude wouldn't show up til that afternoon. :(
...now we were on pins and needles.
Because unbeknown to me the freezer helps keep the fridge cool (I thought they were separate in cooling)
Which meant...our fridge was going to heat up soon, if it wasn't already. So now we were on another deadline...because we had alot more good food we would eat in the fridge.
I didn't worry too much about it. We've had power out at our house for a couple of days before, and as long as we kept the fridge closed, everything would stay cool enough that it will be fine.
Though then the fridge had the advantage of a working freezer to melt ice and such....
around 3 I was getting worried and I called the maintenance guy again to see when the other guy was coming.
(he didn't answer)
But then about 4pm.
I heard a knock on the door.
I opened it to this old man.
Chubby in the old man fashion, with white hair and a big smile stood in front of me.
and he asked "Is YOUR refrigerator broken?"
lol i just had to smile and say "yes." and let him in.
The way he said it made me think that he'd been knocking on doors for a while now trying to figure out who had the broken freezer.  -I don't know if that was totally true.
So he set to fixing our freezer.
And when he was done he told us.
"Okay I've got it working, but the best way to make sure that the freezer is working properly is to go down to Walmart and buy some Chocolate ice cream. Stick it in the freezer for the night and let it melt and refreeze and then you give me a call in the morning and I'll come over and taste it to make sure its all working properly."
lol I admit. I thought he was totally serious until he said "come over and taste it" and then i was like *blink* 'wait a moment' just as Kikay said "I think this is a great way to get yourself free ice cream."
He laughed and nodded and told us that we just needed to put in a cup half filled with water and when it froze we could put food in the freezer again. And left. :)


back to the ice cream.
My thought process went something like:
Why is it chocolate ice cream? couldnt' we get mint chocolate chip. Kikay and I like mint chocolate chip.
Eww it has to melt? why? we should wait until the freezer freezes before buying the ice cream.
Good thing walmart is open all hours so we can go grab some
How are we going to call him? I'll need to ask him for his number
Taste it....wait a second? He's kidding us?!
lol
I actually thought it was Awesome that he had a sense of humor ^^ It brightened my day.
So even though we have no ice cream (that will be fixed on the morrow)
It still was a pleasant experience.


:)
One last thought.
We told a girl in our ward that our ice cream melted. lol. and she reacted, like Kikay and I reacted.
That this was basically the 'worst news in the world!!!'
lol. It is. Ice cream is first on a lady's list...with the exception of chocolate.
Imagine how we would have reacted had our chocolate needed to be thrown away.
CHAOS!!! ;) lol.


Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves!
Enjoy the day!


-Sarnic Dirchi


The Dream


There was an earthquake that would be taking place sometime that night.
My family lived in an apartment in a skyscraper near the top, downtown.
And we were preparing for the earthquake.
-We'd experienced one before in our current living situation.
I seemed to remember it was halfway terrifying.
Well, my dad decided that we should go somewhere 'safer' for the earthquake.
Just in case the skyscraper collapsed or something, or some stuff caved in...he wanted the family to be safe.
So we went down to the ground floor to a room that was made of glass...it had a bluish tinge to it. that was an 'offshoot' of the building. so we weren't right underneath the rest of the skyscraper. but the terraces were underneath us.
I had gone down in...pjs and a black hoodie. in the hoodie pockets i had placed my stuffed animal dalmatian Jasper, and another smaller stuffed animal. with other things as well....those pockets were deep.
And i looked around our 'hideout' and I didn't feel safe at all.
I mean the place was made of glass.
I felt safer up on whatever floor we lived on currently.
So my parents told me to go find another place.
So I did.
I went out and crossed a street in search of a safer place where the earthquake wouldn't kill us.
I walked down a shady lane (shady as in trees lined it) and went into this nice other sky scraper building (i got the impression my mom worked there.)
I took the elevator up to the top floor
and came out to another neighborhood.
But this one was shady as in the creepy deserted, ghost town shady.
It was deserted.
Dark.
Cloudy.
Misty.
But I went walking down the lane.
and came to a row of 8 cabins.
They were red, made of wood. had black roofs.
And looked like they hadn't been used in a while.
Kinda run down and empty
I went to cabin 5 -the number was shiny gold
and opened up to look inside.
Some black scuttling creature came out.
I thought of a cat or a coyote.
And apparently the inside had remains of some animal in it that the black creature was eating.
I didn't see the inside of the cabin when i looked inside. just got impressions.
That it hadn't been cleaned out in a while.
And i figured "we won't be disturbed here!"
(yah me. we wouldn't. it must have been deserted for a reason!!)
So I returned back down to the street.
I had to cross a street, go through a half block island then cross another street.
(island meaning that the road went all the way around it.)
And at the first street I saw the beginnings of a parade.
Put on by people who were trying to keep the population calm and not have them go crazy from terror because the earthquake could hit at anytime.
i stopped to watch by an outdoor cafe
Where people were sitting down around round tables under umbrellas.
And i encountered a girl...dressed like Mary Poppins in the chalk world, but i was given the impression she was more of a 'truly scrumptous' from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.
I stopped and had a conversation with her.
Watching the parade get ready to go.
I saw a...round clown doll balloon. but I didn't pay much attention to other entrees.
My attention was distracted by a group of cute, handsome boys.
Dressed like the performers in "me old bamboo" from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
They were the 'life' of the parade.
They started performing before they even started walking down the parade route
Singing and dancing to "Step in Time" from...Mary Poppins.
-I don't know if the tunes are similar but i was hearing 'step in time' lyrics to the 'me old bamboo' song.
I watched them dance until they started heading down the street.
Then i crossed the street, went through the island part and managed to hear them coming up the street when i reached the next street.
I crossed that street and went to tell my parents that I'd found a spot.
But i was feeling sad that I had left a stuffed animal behind. So i made a trip up stairs to get that one stuffed animal that kept flashing through my thoughts.
So i went upstairs to grab it then back down to go meet with my family.
Some of them had already left so I followed after them.
..encountering the parade again in the process.
and ended up with two new friends.
We went to the building I'd gone to earlier.
But I ended up taking an escalator too early.
So i went into a different portion of the building
and I had to find my way back down to the bottom floor.
And my friends and I ended up waiting in line (kinda like an airport line) to get permission to go into the building. We sat down to wait.
And somehow.... I don't remember how this whole situation started but
the guy with me started loudly talking about how it wasn't right to discriminate just because a guy didn't like girls but guys. and blah blah blah blah.
And then our 'gay' friend, dressed in a business suit. -he had blonde hair and reminded me of Neil Patrick Harris
We were really happy he was there. Estatic.
Came in and got in line behind us. the line was long enough that the snaking line had him end up right behind us for a bit.


and then the unholy tones of daylight pulled me away....
and I became myself again.


-S.N.D

No comments:

Post a Comment