Monday, July 23, 2012

October 1990 General Conference Saturday Morning

Some unhappy events have happened this past weekend, and I find that reading conference talks can bring a measure of peace to me. So, for fun I thought I would share things that I had highlighted from various talks. By no means are these points the most important points in any particular talk or the only things mentioned, but they are sentiments and thoughts that I liked and felt a connection to.
Hope you like. :)

Gordan B. Hinckley -This Work Will Go Forward
  • Our Heavenly Father will cause conditions in the world to change so that His gospel can penetrate every border.
  • Surely nothing is too hard to gain this great goal. 
Richard G. Scott -The Harvest of Love
  • One hundred and fifty years ago this week, the Lord revealed to His prophet Joseph Smith sublime doctrine concerning the sacred ordinance of baptism.
  • Yes, the Lord is accelerating His work.
  • Begin this work (family history research) and you will know why the Lord said, "The hearts of the children shall turn to their fathers."
  • Once I listened as a humble sister, blind except for a small window of vision in one eye, bore witness of deeply spiritual experiences she enjoyed with her husband identifying individuals for temple work. She explained that internal bleeding had recently taken the last vestige of sight. Her testimony was sweet, her prayer that she might see enough to serve. Miraculously she was given even greater sight.
  • I don't need to tell you the details of where to go and who to see.
  • When you determine you are going to succeed, you will find a way.
  • Set aside those things that don't really matter in your life. Decide to do something that will have eternal consequences.
  • Perhaps you have been prompted to look for ancestors but feel that you are not a genealogist. Can you see that you don't have to be anymore? It all begins with love and a sincere desire to help those who can't help themselves.
Glenn L. Pace - A Thousand Times
  • How are we responding to the cries for help from God's Children?
  • First: We need to over come fatalism.
  • We must all become players in the winding-up scene, not spectators.
  • He never gave up but labored with them and loved them even with his dying breath.
  • "Notwithstanding their wickedness I ... loved them, according to the love of God which was in me, with all my heart; and my soul had been poured out in prayer unto my God all the day long for them."
  • Second: Attitude adjustment is to not allow ourselves to find satisfaction in calamities of the last days.
  • "He that is glad at calamities shall not be unpunished."
  • "Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth."
  • We know many wounds are self-inflicted and could have been avoided simply by obeying gospel principles. However, to shrug it off as "their problem" is not acceptable to the Lord.
  • Our forgiveness must be manifest by reaching out to help mend wounds even when they are the result of transgression. To react in any other way would be akin to setting up a lung cancer clinic for nonsmokers only.
  • "Verily I saw, men should be anxiously engaged in a good cause, and do many things of their own free will."
Eduardo Ayala -The Word of Wisdom
  • First, I am a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and then I am a microneurosurgeon.
Legrand R. Curtis -Happiness Is Homemade
  • It is possible to make home a bit of heaven; indeed, I picture heaven to be a continuation of the ideal home.
  • A happy home is one centered around the teachings of the gospel. This takes constant, careful effort by all concerned.
  • In the ideal home, each child would be given every possible opportunity to develop his own personality without too much domination. Discipline is organized love, and children develop properly in an atmosphere of love, with adequate guidelines to shape their lives and their habits. More children are punished for mimicking their parents than ever for disobeying them.
  • We should be what we want to see.
  • Absolute truth should abide in our homes, and we should sincerely try to answer any question in honesty. Honesty is the companion of truth, and dishonesty of falsehood. We should expect complete honesty from our children as well as from us as parents.
  • Ice Cream is better bought early than wished-for later.
  • Mothers and daughters should be ladies and be modest in all ways.
  • Fathers and sons should act gentlemanly and kind. They should honor their priesthood, fill missions, and serve the Lord.
  • Parents need to care enough to wait up for their children as they return from their dates, or go and find them if they are out too late.
  • We have found that the child who is rolling on the floor during family home evening listens and learns more than we think possible.
Neal A. Maxwell -Put Off the Natural Man, and Come Off Conqueror
  • So many times prophets warn about dangers of selfishness--the inordinate and excessive concern with self.
  • The distance between constant self-pleasing and self-worship is shorter than we think. Stubborn selfishness is actually rebellion against God.
  • Selfishness is much more than an ordinary problem because it activates all the cardinal sins! It is the detonator in the breaking of the Ten Commandments.
  • The selfish individual thus seeks to please not God, but himself. He will even break a covenant in order to fix an appetite.
  • Selfishness has little time to regard the sufferings of others seriously, hence the love of many waxes cold.
  • Even the faithful can expect a few fibrillations.
  • The selfish individual has a passion for the vertical pronoun I. Significantly, the vertical pronoun I has no knees to bend, while the first letter in the pronoun we does.
  • Selfishness, in its preoccupation with self, withholds from others deserved, needed praise, causing a deprivation instead of giving a commendation.
  • Selfishness is often expressed in stubbornness of mind. Having a "mind hardened with pride" often afflicts the brightest who could also be the best.
  • Stubborn selfishness leads otherwise good people to fight over herds, patches of sand, and strippings of milk. All this results from what the Lord calls coveting "the drop," while neglecting the "more weighty matters"
  • The most exhausting thing in life, I have discovered...is being insincere. That is why so much of social life is exhausting.
  • How goes the battle?
  • Take away basic moral standards, and observe how quickly tolerance changes into permissiveness.
  • Take away the sacred sense of belonging to a family or community, and observe how quickly citizens cease to care for big cities.
  • Selfishness is really self-destruction in slow motion!
  • Each spasm of selfishness narrows the universe that much more by shutting down our awareness of others and by making us more and more alone.
  • The meek men and women of Christ are quick to praise, but are able to restrain themselves. They understand that on occasion the biting of the tongue can be as important as the gift of tongues.
  • Christ never brushed aside those in need because He had bigger things to do!
  • Furthermore, the men and women of Christ are constant, being the same in private as in public.
  • We cannot keep two sets of books while heaven has but one.
  • Whereas the natural man vents his anger, the men and women of Christ are "not easily provoked."
Howard W. Hunter - Come unto Me
  • "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
  • "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
  • "For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."
  • "He invited them from drudgery to pleasant service; from the well-night unbearable burdens of ecclesiastical exactions and traditional formalism, to the liberty of truly spiritual worship; from slavery to freedom; but they would not.
  • Why face life's burdens alone; Christ asks, or why face them with temporal support that will quickly falter? To the heavy laden it is Christ's yoke, it is the power and peace of standing side by side with a God that will provide the support, balance, and the strength to meet our challenges and endure our tasks here in the hardpan field of mortality.
  • As long as we all must bear some burden and shoulder some yoke, why not let it be mine?

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

The Dream

I was in a parking lot, where there were travel trailers and such and my hair wasn't sitting right on my head, so I was combing through it and began pulling out chunks and chunks of hair. The thought crossed my mind that this was odd...but when I finally got all the loose hair off, I had short hair, about chin length and I thought to myself "oh yah, this was what my hair looked like with the hair cut I got recently." Apparently the loose hair had mingled with the hair that was still attached to my head and overall made it look like it was longer and still full looking so I wouldn't notice and didn't realize that my hair had gotten longer quicker then normal. but with the extra weight gone, my head felt lighter and I remembered that this was the length my hair was supposed to be...

then the unholy tones of daylight pulled me away....
and I became myself again. :)

-S.N.D

No comments:

Post a Comment