Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Red Blue Green Cord Quest

You may or may not know that I moved a bit ago.
To an apartment that already had the TV included.
Flat screen, HD TV. (it makes everything look like a soap opera and/or a video game)
Unfortunately this TV doesn't come with a DVD/VHS player.
Not that this was a bad thing.
As I had one of those. Or two...
In the midst of moving, I decided to keep less stress on myself, and not pack my VCR that plays VHS and DVDs
Instead opting to let Kikay keep it at her place while I took my portable DVD player with me.
I mean it's portable...and I can hook it up to the TV. Walla!
The only down side was that I wouldn't be able to watch any VHS movies.
Or so I thought.
Upon getting everything unpacked and the player plugged in....
I discovered that the DVD player didn't work.
Well...it did.
But it didn't connect up right.
You see I could get sound, and picture...but the picture was in black and white.
No matter what we did unplugging and plugging in different cords...
it remained the same. Black and white.
It was then that it was discovered...that the TV only accepted the Blue, Green, Red cord.
I didn't have that.
I had a Red, Yellow, White cord.
Ere go...black and white >.<
Boo.
And while movies are okay to watch in Black and White...I really miss the color.
So I set out for a red blue green cord.
Only to find that it cost more then I really wanted to spend.
Especially when I wasn't sure the cord was the problem.

Time passed.
And a cousin suggested I go to the DI and find the cord.
O.o
What? The DI?!
Who in their right mind would buy used electronical stuff there?
I mean...isn't it iffy if the stuff works or not?
But then Kikay mentioned that the workers there probably tested all the electronics to make sure they worked before selling them to the public.
-I wasn't quite believing. I mean...I've seen a bunch of old TVs and have doubted that those worked...
But for fun before going to an Institute class, I dropped by to see if there was a Red Blue Green cord system to buy.
I saw lots of Red Yellow Whites...
A lot of them.
But then.
Hope.
A single set of Red. Blue. And Green.
Just one cord of that color sequence in my hurried scanning.
There in plain sight!
I took it, scanned it quickly. There was no obvious faults with it. The wires were whole, the plugs looked fine.
So I took it.
The guy at the register looked at it and stated calmly. "One Dollar"
()_() SCORE!! A buck :D lol
But...would my dollar be worth it? Would it work?
I took the cord home to try it out.
Only to fail. :(
Not with the cords though.
With my DVD player. :(
The blue,red,green cord has those colors on both ends. While my DVD player's original red white yellow cord is only one side, with little plugs on the other side to plug into it.
Which meant....it didn't work. :( My portable DVD player didn't mesh.
The first thought that came to mind was that I would have to buy an adapter where I could put the new plugs in an adapter that would then let me put the old plugs in the other side...and walla! all the cords would work together.
Meh...that sounded expensive.
Instead, I texted Kikay to ask her if my VHS/DVD player I'd left with her had the blue green red circles in the back that would allow me to plug in.
Survey said...
YES!
Yay!
But would it work?
I went to her apartment and switched out my two players -so she would be able to still watch movies on her TV.
and came back to my apartment to hook everything up.
:( No Dice.
I didn't have sound!
Even though I had all the cords...I only go the now colorful picture. No sound.
But then, I had the brilliant thought.
I know that red and white cord gave me sound.
And conveniently enough...the back of my VHS/DVD player has lots of colored circles.
So I plugged in the red and white on the player to the red and white on the TV and walla! I had sound!
So Red Blue Green gave me picture. and Red White gave me sound.
QUEST SUCCESSFUL! HA!
I can now watch movies anytime I want. ^^ Yay. :)

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment