Tuesday, May 7, 2013

What's In A Spelling?

Names.
I've been meeting alot of them lately.
And the people who have them.

It's odd.
Because I've noticed...that my spelling of names is off.
Not in a bad way.
Just in a different way.

How I just hear a name like Sean.
And I automatically picture that it's spelled Shawn instead.

And Lacey is actually Laci.

Josilyn is actually Jocelyn.

It's so weird!

How the same name can be spelt more than one way.
I mean...I know they can be.
It's just odd that my spelling of a name, is different from how the person actually spells it.

But I think it deals a bit with me being a writer.
Sometimes the 'normal' spelling of a name doesn't work in the story I'm writing.
So I switch around a few letters and such. To make it better.
lol.
I guess there is a benefit to the English letters having multiple sounds, and some copying other sounds so multiple spellings can happen.

And sometimes...I just hear the name, sound it out and add in the letters that work with the sounds. :)

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment