Wednesday, May 29, 2013

While In A Different Uniform

There are perils to venturing out into public still wearing your work uniform.
For one. The general populace now knows where you work.
And according to coworkers, you can get asked questions about work that really...you can only answer while at work. lol. Luckily I haven't experienced that yet. Mostly I just get asked about the animals we sell. :) I can answer that easy enough. :)
No, the peril I'm thinking about, is going into a different store...and being asked if I work there.
It happens on occasion. I mean. official looking uniform, automatic response of "oh they must work here."
It's even more likely to happen where the uniforms of the work place blend into the general population type of clothes, and...if they're similar colors.

Today it happened.
A gentleman came up to me while I was shopping for food and asked if I worked there.
Uhh...purse in cart...food in cart...looking at food...and wearing a uniform that has a different store name on it....
"No, sorry."
"Oh okay."
Another woman nearby said. "He's trying to find the Microwave Popcorn."
Oh! *ding ding ding!* "I actually know where that is!"
"Really?" The guy asked.
"Yah!" I proceeded to tell him where it was....saw that it wasn't computing, and so just automatically lead him to the popcorn before returning to my cart.
Yay for actually knowing where something is in a store that I don't work at!! lol.
-Though it's not a bit deal....I buy popcorn myself so I know where I have to go to get it.
I returned to find that the woman had stayed by my cart.
Why?
To watch my purse.
As I'd left it in the cart to go show the guy where the popcorn was.
Yah, I didn't remember that until I returned and saw it sitting there.
lol the woman said "I stayed here to make sure nobody took your purse."
"Oh! Thank you so much!"
"Thanks for helping the guy, I think he would have never found it otherwise. You'd think that popcorn would be in the snack food aisle....you know with all the chips and candy?"
"Yah! It should be there!"
I mean...seriously, whose idea was it to put it by the nuts and soda?
lol
In any case. I'm glad the woman stayed, as I just went into 'work mode' where I'm used to showing people around -having just come from work it wasn't that hard to get back into it- and so I totally spaced that I had my purse in the cart as I'm used to leaving tasks and returning to them later...and not have anything of mine at that task. lol.

So note to self: Keep purse on you at all times. As I obviously can't be trusted to remember to take said purse with me if I get distracted. Who knows how long I could have been gone after all....

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

The Dream

I was on my way to work when I ran into a few of my friends from high school. They'd come down to visit and Dirk suggested we all go see a movie. So we walked towards the Desert Book / Barnes and Noble corner, and into Desert Book where Jess saw that one of her coworkers -as she worked there- needed help as she was helping a young blonde girl in line, and there was another girl on the table. When I looked behind them I saw that there was a longer line of adults. Jess asked her coworker -a black haired woman with darker skin- if she needed help. the woman gratefully replied that yes she did. So Jess hopped on in behind the counter and logged in. I was surprised at this, as I thought we were going to go see a movie and now we were delayed, but Tay, Dirk, myself and a couple of others, let her do her work and wandered around the store that was like the inside of a big Best Buy with many different departments, the others splitting off to see if they could help at all as the place was crowded and I knew that there would only be like five employees having to deal with the crowds. I ran into Jess again, sitting a table with a mirror that had magnetic earrings place on it. "So this is where you usually work" I asked her as we both stared into the mirror. She replied with yes. and I knew from previous conversations that she would rearrange the earrings on the mirror when she was bored to form patterns. A sudden distraction caused me to go outside of the store, and across the yellow plains in the distance there were dark clouds overhanging the horizon. I felt...insecure, something was going on and it wasn't safe. There were rays of sunlight shining against the black wall of clouds, but they would disappear as the clouds moved. Then I saw this giant black tornado come down and cross the plains from left to right before disappearing. Damage had been done. I heard like on the radio an announcer saying that those in the Idaho farms had been hit badly, and crops wouldn't be doing well, but the worst hit was the Nevada area...but more importantly Disneyland -which isn't in Nevada- but the Disney Park was a Toon Town focusing on Pixar themed attractions and gifts. It was located in southern Utah as the Red rock there -with a big Paul Bunion on a building with the red rock seen in the Cars movie behind him there. The tornado had done the most damage ever there, forcing Disney to close their doors, so all the towns and such suddenly looked like a ghost town. Then we got the unwelcome news. Because of this disaster, Disney had decided to close the doors on all it's parks. Permanently. This caused an uproar everywhere. What about the people who had planned vacations to go to the parks. Surely the disaster at Toon Town didn't warrant such actions. So Sherlock Holmes set out to prove this. I was watching, when a young boy -it seemed like he was my little brother- randomly said "I need a particular kind of Dog Food, can you show me where it is." I blinked and asked him why he needed it. "So I can solve the crime, I need the colors to paint the mural" or something along that lines. He headed off, and I followed after him as he went in search of the particular brand that carried all the colors he needed. A while later Sherlock was sitting on a window ledge peering into a council meeting/judge court case that seemed to have the founding fathers in it, when I looked out the window, and saw the boy. Sherlock looked over to see the boy precariously hoisting himself three or four stories into the air, working on a diagram made of string. He also was only held up by string. Sherlock asked "What if it breaks." and the boy, his feet unsteadily balancing on one of the colored strings, while he swayed in the wind with the strings around his body keeping him upright, replied "Let's hope it doesn't." The view panned out to show that he'd built a giant rocket looking machine outline with the string. While he worked, he ended up somehow getting a big bowl full of sprinkles which he lowered to the ground for the joy of all the orphan/homeless boys and girls. It was a real treat for them to get sweets and those would last a while. The boy then said to the audience on the other side of the window and to Sherlock "This is a time machine, it will fix our problems....

Then the unholy tones of daylight pulled me away....
and I became myself again. :)

-S.N.D

No comments:

Post a Comment