Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Become A Righty!... Not.

I knew her from somewhere.
This customer that walked into work.
I was pretty sure she had been in one if not two of my college classes.
So I asked her.
"Did you go to this College?"
"Yes."
"Did you graduate in Sign Language?"
"Yes."
"Hey! We were in the same class!"
"Oh cool." She said while checking out. "What are you doing now?"
"I work here." I said with a happy smile.
"And?"
O.o "I work here?" I knew what she meant, was I doing anything with my major? No. >.< I dislike this question so much.
"Aren't you doing anything with signing?"
"No, I kinda failed the test twice and decided it wasn't for me."
And then she was like "Oh Honey, forget the test, you can't quit just because of it, do you know how many times my friend failed that test before she passed?"
I was like "Eigh---?"
"Eight times! and you know what had been wrong before that point? She'd been signing left handed. So she learned to sign right handed and she passed."
I basically fell silent at this point.
This conversation hadn't gone how I wanted it to go. >.>
>.< My basic reaction to this spiel of information was.
"DONT TELL ME WHAT TO DO!!"

Geez. So I decided to not go find a job in my major. It's not the end of the world.
And really? Really?!
I was basically told that if I had wanted to pass that test.
I would have had to become right handed to do it!
Because, guess what, I'm left handed.
Had I failed my test the first time just because I was signing with my left hand instead of my right?

This, just got me sooo...angry isn't the right word, but basically angry.

Of course, my classmate was probably thinking something along the lines of "WHY DID YOU GIVE UP! YOU WENT TO SCHOOL FOR THIS YOU COULD BE HELPING SO MANY DEAF PEOPLE! etc etc etc...."
Yah, I know. But if it's not something I love? Why do it?

This conversation hasn't changed my mind.
Signing, while fun, isn't a job option for me.
>.< Especially if I would have to learn everything right handed in order to get one.

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment