Friday, August 8, 2014

Claws Away

So there I was, helping out a customer at work.
No big deal,
They were wanting to get a hermit crab.

So, I opened up the cage, and pulled the hermit crabs forward,
-They like to hide in the back of the cage, where people can't see them.

I left the customers briefly to let them watch the Hermit Crabs, and see which ones moved first, and which shells they liked.

When I returned, they had picked out the ones they liked.
So, I took the two they picked and placed them in my hands so I could go grab a container for them.

That's when one hermit crab struck.

I really, still don't know how it happened.

The hermit crab, was in it's shell, All closed up.
Maybe it had been trying to get out when I put it in my hand.
I don't even remember if I had it face down or face up in my hand,

But suddenly.
It's little pincher
Latched onto the middle finger on my left hand.
Trying to pinch the life out of my finger.

At first, I didn't think it was that bad.
I mean, other animals let go right?
This guy will let go.
-Alright, so the Monitor Lizard didn't let go, but this was a little guy. He would let go. Just like a parakeet.
Really, the pinch at first was just like a parakeet's beak pinching me.
No big deal.
I was used to this type of pain.
I didn't like it,
Would avoid it if I could.
But used to it enough that I didn't make a scene.
And just like with the monitor lizard. The girl was like. O.o Doesn't that hurt?
"Oh yes." Yes it does. But I couldn't really scream and fling my hand around.
Because every little movement would make the claw hooked onto my finger, tighten.
To a point where it was hard to keep tears from forming in my eyes.
I tried gently pulling on the Hermit Crab.
That just made him tighten down harder.
So the girl helpfully said "I heard holding still would help it to let go."
And in the back of my head I was thinking back to crabbing trips in Oregon, where it was ingrained in my head that letting those crabs pinch you was bad. Because they didn't want to let go. Kinda like an Alligator. Once it clamps down, it doesn't want to let go.
But hey, it couldn't help. So I laid my hand down to wait.
However, I had other customers waiting to be helped.
And I couldn't just stand there doing nothing.
So, I called for backup.
None came.
I called again.
None came.
That was the most frustrating part.
When no one came to rescue me. I called for backup, no one came.
I had customers waiting.
I couldn't just sit there with a hermit crab on my finger waiting for it to maybe let go.
So I took matters into my own hands and with more pinching pain on my part, pulled the hermit crab off me.
Because who knows, it may have tried to tear a piece off and eat me next.

In any case.
I got the grouchy hermit crab off my hand,
and safely into a container.

And spent the next hour or so having my finger throbbing in beat to my heart.
Because
OOOOOWWWWWWWWWW!!!

>.< Geez, hermit crab, no need to pinch me so hard!! >.<
Especially when I just got done telling the customer that they don't usually pinch! >.<

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment