Friday, August 15, 2014

An Almost Nightmare Situation

Tow Trucks.
My worst fear of living in Downtown College Town.
They circle like vultures.
Waiting for a vehicle to wander into the wrong spot.
Before the pounce and lock up/ tow the car away.

Seriously, I don't think I rested totally easy last summer when I had to park on the streets outside of my apartment complex. (I couldn't have an assigned parking spot -whoknowswhy- until the school year started.)
Each evening, I would double, triple, quadruple check where I had parked. Was there any sign of red anywhere? Did I park too far out into the street? Was there a fire hydrant anywhere near? How close was I to the end of the block?
Not at all a favorite of mine.
And I nearly cried for joy when I finally was able to pull into a spot where I knew I wouldn't get towed.

Well, last night.
My fear almost became a reality.

I'd gone with a few other wardies to a game of laser tag. And afterwards, we went to a place I'd never been to. A little shake shop just off of center street.
I'd heard it was popular. Which meant, I knew that there would be no parking right there.
And I was right, as I pulled up behind the car I was following to the shop, I saw all the stalls in front of the shop were full. The car, didn't hesitate though. and pulled into a small parking lot just across the way, behind a sort of set of store fronts.
I followed them, and saw that the slots all said "Reserved." As in. "HEY DON'T PARK HERE!"
But right into one of the slots the car pulled, so I pulled past them, to see no empty 'unreserved' spots. So I turned around intending to park elsewhere, but the driver stopped me and was like "park here!" Alright? Maybe they knew something I didn't.
It didn't feel right. To park in a reserved spot.
Particularly when I noticed each Reserved sign had a number above it. Meaning...room numbers. Apartments? Motels? I had no idea. But the spots probably had owners wanting to park there.
Still, I got out. Intending to only stay long enough to get my shake and go.-being the antisocial person I was.-
I kept glancing back.
Kept checking in on my car.
Glad that the shop was right across the street, so that I could see it just fine.
Slowly, I relaxed. Maybe it was fine to park there.
I ended up getting distracted talking to others while waiting for my shake. (they seemed to take forever!!)
And then I glanced back.
Headlights.
There were headlights of a car. No a truck. Stopped right in front of our cars.
I squinted, trying to see past the lights.
Uhoh.
No.
It looked like a tow truck.
Maybe. I wasn't sure.
I turned to one of the other people who'd been in the other car. "I'm going to go move my car." I told them. Tow truck or no tow truck, I didn't feel right. And a spot had just opened up in front of the store. So I could just pull in there. Quick and easy.
She turned to look. "Is that a tow truck?"
"I don't know, I'm going to move my car."
"I'll let so and so know too."
I didn't wait to talk more, I took off back to my car.
IT WAS A TOW TRUCK!

But. As I approached, the truck kindly backed up to let me out. No boot had been placed on my tires, I hadn't been hooked up at all.
I don't know why not? Were they checking plates? Did they do that?
But they moved. That was all I cared about.
As I pulled out of the slot, the other guy approached to his car as well, though detoured to go talk to the tow truck people.
I didn't stick around.
I left the parking lot....only to have my spot taken by a car right in front of me. >.<
So I had to park around the corner. But it was a spot that I could stay at (at least for 2 hours) without worrying about being towed.

Returning to the shop just in time to grab my shake as they called the order. (seriously it took a while.)
I encountered the other driver and asked them what they had asked the tow truck.
He had asked when free parking was.
As he'd thought they could park anywhere after 9pm. Which it was.
No.
10pm. After 10pm it was free parking.

So, if I hadn't been paying attention. Keeping an eye out....
We would have been both in trouble. Either booted or towed. :S YIKES!

That was too close of a call for me!
So glad I'm moving further away from the Tow Truck hunting grounds.
I don't like that sort of stress.

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment