Monday, May 11, 2015

October 2004 General Conference -Sunday Morning

Thomas S. Monson -Choose You This Day
  • The gate of history turns on small hinges, and so do people's lives. The choices we make determine our destiny.
  • "Neglect not the gift that is in thee."
  • At times many of us let that enemy of achievement--even the culprit "self-defeat"--dwarf our aspirations, smother our dreams, cloud our vision, and impair our lives. The enemy's voice whispers in our ears, "You can't do it." "You're too young." "You're too old." "You're nobody." This is when we remember that we are created in the image of God. Reflection on this truth provides a profound sense of strength and power.
  • "The greatest battle of life is fought within the silent chambers of your own soul.' ... It is a good thing to sit down and commune with yourself, to come to an understanding with yourself and decide in that silent moment what your duty is to your family, to your Church, to your country, and ... to your fellowmen."
  • "Choose the right when a choice is place before you. In the right the Holy Spirit guides."
  • Fill your minds with truth.
  • Fill your hearts with love.
  • Fill your lives with service.
Robert D. Hales -Finding Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ
  • "Because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed."
  • Are we choosing to believe their words? Or despite their witnesses and warnings, are we waiting for evidence--are we "walking in darkness at noon-day," refusing to see by the light of modern prophecy, and denying that the Light of the World will return to rule and reign among us?
  • "Faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." The very fact that you are viewing, listening to, or reading the proceedings of this conference means that you are hearing God's word.
  • Hearing requires an active effort.
  • 1. Hear the word of God, spoken and written by His servants;
  • 2. Let that word sink deep into your heart;
  • 3. Hunger in your soul for righteousness;
  • 4. obediently follow gospel laws, ordinances, and covenants;
  • 5. Raise your voice in mighty prayer and supplication, asking in faith to know that Jesus Christ is our Savior.
Dieter F. Uchtdorf -The Opportunity to Testify
  • Thank you for paying an honest tithing and not neglecting the poor and the lonely.
  • "We are here to assist our Father in His work and His glory, 'to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man.'
David A. Bednar -In the Strength of the Lord
  • "Yea, I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God, for in his strength I can do all things; yea, behold, many mighty miracles we have wrought in this land, for which we will praise his name forever."
  • "And the Lord said unto Enoch: Go forth and do as I have commanded thee, and no man shall pierce thee. Open thy mouth, and it shall be filled, and I will give thee utterance, for all flesh is in my hands, and I will do as seemeth me good."
  • For all of us who feel unprepared and overwhelmed and unequal to a new calling or responsibility, the promise of the Lord to Enoch is equally applicable. The promise was true in Enoch's day, and it is true today.
Russell M. Nelson -Senior Missionaries and the Gospel
  • I express gratitude for our senior missionaries. They are young in spirit, wise, and willing to work. They even tolerate remarks from their fun-filled children who might change President Spencer W. Kimball's plea "Lengthen your stride" to "Hasten your shuffle."
Gordon B. Hinckley -The Women in Our Lives
  • Notwithstanding this preeminence given the creation of woman, she has so frequently through the ages been relegated to a secondary position. She has been put down. She has been denigrated. She has been enslaved. She has been abused. And yet some few of the greatest characters of scripture have been women of integrity, accomplishment, and faith.
  • Why is it that even though Jesus placed women in a position of preeminence, so many men who profess His name fail to do so?
  • In His grand design, when God first created man, He created a duality of the sexes. The ennobling expression of that duality is found in marriage. One individual is complementary to the other. As Paul stated, "Neither is the man without the woman, neither the woman without the man, in the Lord."
  • There are some men who , in a spirit of arrogance, think they are superior to women. They do not seem to realize that they would not exist but for the mother who gave them birth. When they assert their superiority they demean her. It has been said, "Man can not degrade woman without himself falling into degradation; he can not elevate her without at the same time elevating himself."
  • If every husband and every wife would consistently do whatever might be possible to ensure the comfort and happiness of his or her companion, there would be very little, if any, divorce. Argument would never be heard. Accusations would never be leveled. Angry explosions would not occur. Rather, love and concern would replace abuse and meanness.
  • Every woman is a daughter of God. You cannot offend her without offending Him. I plead with the men of this Church to look for and nurture the divinity that lies within their companions. To the degree that happens, there will be harmony, peace, enrichment of family life, nurturing love.
  • The women in our lives are creatures endowed with particular qualities, divine qualities, which cause them to reach out in kindness and with love to those about them. We can encourage that outreach if we will give them opportunity to give expression to the talents and impulses that lie within them. In our old age my beloved companion said to me quietly one evening, "You have always given me wings to fly, and I have loved you for it."
  • As a father, do I love my daughters less than I love my sons? No. If I am guilty of any imbalance, it is in favor of my girls. I have said that when a man gets old he had better have daughters about him. They are so kind and good and thoughtful. I think I can say that my sons are able and wise. My daughters are clever and kind. And "my cup runneth over" because of this.
Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment