Thursday, March 15, 2018

A Strong Belief

Thirty-eight years ago this month, Dean and I, then newlyweds, traveled to New Mexico to visit my parents.
While there, my father took us on a day trip into the mountains in the northern part of the state.
In the afternoon, we encountered a car stranded on the roadside with a flat tire.
The driver told my father that his spare was also flat and he needed a ride to the nearest town to get the tire fixed.
My father, seeing the man's family inside the car, said to him, "You'll never be able to get to town and back before dark. But listen, you have the same size wheel as mine. Take my spare, and the next time  you come to Albuquerque, bring it back to me."

The stranger, shocked by the offer, said, "But you don't even know me."

Daddy's response, typical for him, was, "You're an honest man, aren't you? You'll bring the tire back."

A few weeks later I asked my dad about the spare tire.
He told me that it had been returned.

-Kathleen H. Hughes -What Greater Goodness Can We Know: Christlike Friends -April 2005 General Conference

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment