Wednesday, September 12, 2018

An Odd Placement

When it comes to Petroglyphs. 
I always imagine them on the sides of large rock surfaces. 
Usually on the side of sandstone cliffs or on boulders bigger than a car. Things that...can't easily be moved.

But today, my family went to visit the Deer Valley Petroglyph Preserve. 
Where I was told there were there are over 1500 different petroglyphs all together.
Which...
Confused me.
Because where we were standing?
Wasn't a place that had these nice big flat sandstone surfaces.
No.
Everywhere I looked there was volcanic rock. Basalt. 

The mountains/hills all around us were covered in various sized boulders of the stuff.

And that's where the petroglyphs were.
Carved into the sides of various boulders that made up one of the many large hills in the area. 

O.o

It was weird.
Because even though I knew a lot of those rocks were bigger and heavier than any one human could move.
The whole thing seemed so fragile.
I mean one wrong stone removed and a ton of different rocks could come tumbling down destroying or obscuring the symbols left on their surfaces.

*shakes head*
Though considering those petroglyphs were from 700-1500 years ago....
I suppose there's not much fear in having those rocks move. lol.

It just was a different sort of set up than I was used to. 
Still very cool (even though the place was super hot) to see. 

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment