Monday, December 31, 2018

A Close Call

There was a rather close call today at work.

As I came into work to find that one of our guinea pigs that had been in our Isolation room for ringworm...was back on the floor. 

Which I only noticed because we haven't had any guinea pigs out for like a week.

But then when I went back into the Iso room to check on the animals there.

I noticed one of the charts was still on the wall.
But the cage was gone.

A closer look to the chart had me seeing "On The Floor" listed.

Which.
Was bad.

Because the chart had written on the bottom: "Customer Wants to Buy Back." 

….If the customer wants to buy the guinea pig back?
WHY WAS IT ON THE FLOOR?!!?!?

AHHHH!!!!

Like. If we've called the customers  multiple times to no response, or they say they no longer want the guinea pig, we'll then put them back on the floor to sell to someone else.

But before I'd left for my three day vacation,
I distinctly knew that that particular guinea pig HAD NOT had their pet parent contacted.
Because when I left the guinea pig was still recovering from ringworm. The fur had only begun to grow back.

*exhales* I shudder to think what would have happened if I'd come back just a day later. 

I mean. This particular guinea pig, the pet parents were extremely keen to get their pet back.
The kids had even dropped by a couple of times while we were treating him to check in and see how he was doing. 

So the thought that I'd have to tell them that their guinea pig accidentally got sold to someone else?
Gah.
So glad we avoided that.

Upon realizing that the guinea pig wasn't supposed to be on the floor.
I immediately reisolated it
Double checked that he WAS healthy.

And when it was a more reasonable hour to call people, I gave the customers a call and left a message. 

In the meantime. 
I went on the hunt to discover why the guinea pig had been placed back on the floor in the first place.

Apparently my new manager didn't realize that we actually WRITE when we CALL the customer down on the chart. *exhales* And so didn't know if the Customer had been contacted and didn't know when or if they had been contacted.

And so after talking with another manager they instructed my coworkers to put the guinea pig back on the floor.

Apparently coworker was supposed to put a "Reserved" sign up....but that didn't happen.

So if I hadn't been there.
If I hadn't noticed....

The guinea pig would have been gone. *shakes head*

Honestly.
It seemed like such a revelation that you make notes of what's done and who's called the customer if an animal is to be bought back. 

In any case.
After telling my new manager NOT to do that.

The customer actually came into the store a couple of hours later to pick up that guinea pig.

Proving me RIGHT in that they wanted it back. *shakes head*

And I had good timing too, 
As it was one of the daughter's birthdays today.
So she gets the happy surprise of having her guinea pig come home. ^^;;

Yay for happy moments.

So glad I was able to avoid a catastrophe. 

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment