Saturday, December 1, 2018

Through the Clothes

We went through Mother Dearest's clothes tonight.
My sister and I while my Daddoo watched from nearby. 

Which is just one of those...bitter sweet moments really.
I mean. You never expect to need to be going through your Mom's things at such a young age to decide what stays at the house, what goes, and what comes with you. *exhales*

Honestly, I feel like we had a slightly easier time of it than I really expected.

Mostly because one of the last things my Mother Dearest had done with her clothes was to help Kikay find a work shirt for her to wear to work the next day as she'd forgotten to bring one on vacation with her. (as we spent the night at the parents and Kim would go to work in the morning and then head home from there.) 

And Mother Dearest had been pulling out a variety of shirts that she had in her closet, offering them to Kikay as options to wear and telling her that some shirts she had had multiples of somehow and so if Kikay liked the shirt she could keep it.

And just knowing that Mother Dearest had already been willing to part with her clothes without a second thought...

Made it easier to go through them this evening and try them on, decide with Kikay which ones we wanted to wear.

It was a nice process too.
Because Daddoo was there, and Kikay and I were having fun just...keeping up a running commentary on different clothes. Noting which ones still had the tags on them, remembering Memories with certain articles, thoughts on how each outfit looked on us and each other. And it was just fun. Seeing all the different styles that Mother Dearest had worn through the years. 
She even had dresses from back when Daddoo and her were dating!
So crazy!

So many memories.
So many clothes lol. 

I mean, I think between us Kikay and I took at least half of the clothes out of her closet....
and it looked like the closet had barely been touched. 

And it's nice. Nice to have basically a whole new wardrobe, but also nice to have so many articles of clothing that will remind us of her. 

I don't know if other things will be as easy as deciding which shirts we want....
But I'm grateful this experience, even though one I hadn't wanted to deal with for decades yet, was done in a way that had us smiling and laughing by the end of the night. 

It's definitely an ease to the soul. 

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment