Monday, February 25, 2019

Flirting with Red

I'm pretty sure I blogged about it at one point.
Though with how many blog posts I've done...I have no idea 'when' I actually did this.
Like...I was probably still in college....probably...and I don't even know if my car was currently mine or if I was sharing it with my sister still.

But in any case.
I had like...1/8th of a tank of gas left in my car.

Which I had thought was plenty of gas to drive like an hour north to the parents.
Heh...
Yah. That was a nervewracking drive as I watched the line move closer and closer to the red.
I basically chugged into the gas station below my parents place on fumes.
As my car had sputtered a couple of times on that final stretch like "I'm on the last of the last here."

And that day I made a vow to like....never let my tank get that low ever again because that was traumatizing.

-But oh so rewarding to actually make it to the gas station before running out of gas. lol.

Cue last night.
I had like 2/3 of a tank left.
Which since it was now years later since the experience above. 

I knew was plenty of gas to make a round trip up north.
So I wasn't concerned at all about filling up.
As I gauged I would be able to even probably drive to work today before I would need to fill up.

The only thing I didn't account for?

The wind.

So the drive up was windy but uneventful. The tank lowered as expected.
And as I was getting ready to drive back down, I noted that it was sitting slightly lower than I wanted.

It was still plenty of gas to get home on. But I was figuring I would have to stop by the gas station on the corner in the morning before heading to work so I would have enough gas.
(I try to make it a habit to not buy things on Sunday...including gas. Hence why I didn't stop at a gas station before leaving to come back home and why I was planning to get gas today instead.)

However.
The wind proved to still be quite the opponent to the drive back down to Happy Valley. 
And as the miles passed I watched that line again sink closer and closer to the red. 

Much closer to the red than expected.
As the winddrag on the car was making me use up more gas than I had anticipated.

And as I took the exit the line started flirting with going into the red.
Like...really it depended on if I was going uphill or downhill and the line would fluctuate like that.

To the point where I was like...Okay.
I probably can make it home....but I don't know how far I'd get in the morning.

So despite my goal to not buy things on Sundays.
I chose to pull into that corner gas station near my home to fill up my tank.

Probably a good thing I did. ^^;; lol I had like 0.6 gallons left. :S :S 

But oh. Such the relief to watch the line climb back to full as I pulled away from the gas station lol.

Still. Note to self.
Make sure I have at least half a tank before making a roundtrip in the same day. 

Because I really really really don't like hovering just above the red. *shivers*

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment