Saturday, February 9, 2019

Munchies

I've heard of the stereotypical poor college student before.
Even written about them in stories and such.
The ones where they have very little if no food, eeking out their existence and trying to survive classes.....

Yet it's always been just that.
A concept.
A trope you can use for a story.

It's difficult to believe that there are actual students out there in that boat.
Where they haven't eaten in days.
Waiting for their next paycheck to come in.

But they're out there.

Because my new coworker is one of them.

As they've complained a few times that they have nothing to eat when they get home.
That they brought no food to eat while at work because they're trying to save what they have for dinner tonight.
That they haven't eaten in a few days because they don't have any food because they don't yet have the money to buy food.

And it's just....mind-boggling. Like...How? How is that possible??

In any case.
My coworker was complaining again today that they were hungry and feeling weak because they haven't eaten in a few days....

So like my mothering instincts kicked in and I was like "Do you want some cookies or something?"
Because I often carry snack foods for my lunch at work.
And often keep extra snacks. Mostly in case I find myself extra munchy throughout the day but also just in case someone else needs them.

And my coworker gave me the biggest puppy dog eyes and was like "Yes please" 

So I went to the back and grabbed basically all my snacks I hadn't eaten 
-A granola bar, some crackers, some cookies, a fundip thing and went and gave it to them. 

They were surprised at so much food and so grateful as well.
Lol my coworker practically devoured everything in two minutes. 

But yah. Glad I could at least tide them over for a little while though I hope that they were able to go out and buy food after work.
Because gah. Not eating for days on end is Not. Good. 

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment