Saturday, February 16, 2019

Which Cat?

It was one of those Saturdays where things just....kinda went wrong?
I mean, not purposely on my end.
But like I ended up stressed up over it because well...I was right in the middle of it.

So I came in this morning to see that our adoption group had brought come more cats into the store.
Only when I went to clean the cages to make them presentable for when the store opened.
I noticed that a couple of the cage tags -that tell us the cat's name, age, type, etc....were missing. 

Odd, but even odder was that apparently the adoption group forgot their own booklet of cat information.
So like...I had two binders to go through to try and figure out which cat's information went with the kitties we had within the cages. 

After process of elimination....I did my best guess and put the tags up that I thought were the two missing kitty names as they were the best match to what I was seeing. 

Besides, there was no other way to guess what the names were....so I thought.

In any case.

As luck would go.

The two cats that didn't have tags....ended up both being adopted within the first two hours of the store being opened, within like an hour of each other.

Which I thought was...Ironic.

Only the second cat adoption had a slight problem.

As the cage had two orange tabby's within. A lighter orange one and a darker orange one.
And the customer wanted the lighter orange tabby.
But when I went to pull the tag on the tabby I thought was it...I realized that the paperwork said "grey tabby" instead of "orange tabby" which meant the kitty wasn't the one I thought it was.

And after an extensive search....and having to check both cats genders.
We discovered that the other tag was wrong as well. As it labled the cat as a boy when it was a girl. So both tags had to be wrong.

After that confusion and sorting everything out. 
We figured we had the right cat adopted out.

For both adoptions that I did.

Until one of the volunteers of the adoption group showed up to grab the binder and make sure that they had the right information within their binder to take to a different sister store they also had cats in.

And I was like "Oh yah I adopted out two today. This name and That name." And the person was like ()_() You can't have adopted out those names because I have those cats at my house!!

*internal face palm* 

-As the same volunteer had come a bit ago to pick up cats that were sickly and was taking care of them....but in the process had apparently forgotten to take the paperwork out of our binder.

And so I explained the situation how both cages were missing their tags and I was just doing my best to match the kitty with the paperwork.

And the volunteer was like "Did you check the microchip?" 

*internal face palm* 
Nooo….I mean I know the cats in this particular group are microchipped but I never thought to get the microchip checker machine from the vet to go check the cats and then match the number that showed up on the machine with the kitty's paperwork.

After all we've never had to do that before. So it just didn't come to mind.
Though in retrospect like...that would have been the smart thing to do. *exhales* 

In any case.
It turns out that whoever dropped off the cats yesterday...wasn't quite...on top of it.
As a couple other cats ended up having the wrong tags.
Which spurred the volunteer to grab the microchip machine and check all the cats so we could make sure everyone was correct.

Which turns out with the remaining cats in the adoption center, only one had been mislabeled.

And then the other orange tabby....
We'd realized when trying to decide which one was which that one of the tabbies was a girl (the one that didn't get adopted) but the tag had been labeled as a boy. So we went searching through the paperwork for any orange tabby females in the binders and found one and assumed it was that kitty because it was the only female tabby....

Only when we checked the microchip the chip registered to the original tag....the tag marking the tabby as a boy when we had realized it was a girl.
Like all the official paperwork for registration and vaccines and rabies and such marked this kitty as a boy....and it was a girl. 
*shakes head* So they ended up just crossing out the male and writing female on everything.

But yah.
It was quite the stressful nightmare.
And the volunteer then had to go contact the two people who'd adopted out the cats so that they could figure out which cat they'd actually adopted out as the microchips wouldn't match the papework if it was the wrong kitty.

So hopefully that issue was resolved quickly and painlessly.... :S :S 

But yah. That was a stressful nightmare I don't want to repeat anytime soon. Gah. 

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment