Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Fish in a Bucket

So at work we have this process.
Where we pull out a certain section of ornaments out of our fish tanks at night.
And soak them in a bleach/water solution over night to kill any potential algae growing on the decorations.
And then in the morning we dump out the bleach water and then fill it back up with water and add in a salt type thing to neutralize the bleach and make it safe for us to put the ornaments back in the tanks once we're done scrubbing and gravel vacuuming.

Overall it works pretty well.
However.
There are occasions when we encounter some tragedies.
In that some of the decorations have nooks and crannies that fish can hide in.
And if my closing coworkers aren't careful and check the decorations before putting them in the bleach water....

We end up having fish that were stuck in the decorations...that die...
Because yah. Bleach is not good for fish. 

*exhales*

And it's always Tuesday's ornaments that give us the most issues.
Probably because that's where most of our plecos are located on the fish wall.
And plecos love to stick to things.

We also end up losing the clown loaches to the bucket as well. Because they love to hide in those decorations too. 

So you can imagine my surprise this morning.

Where after I'd dumped out most of the water and filled it back up to begin the salt solution....to look into the bucket and see a clown loach....Alive.
He was swimming around and being active and everything. O.o 

Which tells me that it's quite possible that my coworkers forgot to put bleach in the bucket last night...or else it was in such a minimal amount that the fish was able to survive it.

Unfortunately he darted back into the decorations to hide before I could catch him. 

So I had my coworker go looking for him while I took a quick break.
And she managed to catch him! Woot!

But then.

Like ten or fifteen minutes later. 
My manager was like "Hey are these decorations in bleach or salt?"
And I was like "Salt?"
And my manager was like "Well...we have a clown loach swimming around in here that we need to catch then." 

both my coworker and I were like O_o WHAT?
Because she'd caught the clown loach.

but no. There were TWO that ended up in the bucket and thankfully managed to survive.

Though that clown loach was more difficult to catch than the first one.
I couldn't manage to do so until I'd placed all the ornaments back in the their tanks so there was nothing for the loach to hide behind or in. 

Unfortunately I made the discovery that one of our Cichlids had somehow ended up caught in an ornament...and hadn't made it through the bucket trip. :( 

But woot two clown loaches did!

But THEN
I saw movement in the bucket again.

And what was it?
One of our Plecos too had found it's way in with the others. *exhales* So note to self. Have my coworkers be even more diligent about checking ornaments. *shakes head*
But he was alive too!! 

Which is amazing. Like out of 4 fish...three of them lived!! Crazy. 

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment