Wednesday, April 22, 2020

What We Don't Know

The problem with going through managers quickly...is that often the ones who know how to run the store really well...end up leaving before they can pass on their knowledge to the person taking their place. Which means the subsequent person only knows what they figure out on their own, or what situations they encounter.

Til it gets to the point where people don't know what they don't know and just assume the thing has 'always been like that'

It's been that way with our fish system for a while.
I've had managers who've had experience with the system and know how to maintain them and such.
But they ended up leaving before I could learn from them what sort of maintenance needed to be done and how to do it.

I'm aware of things that need to be done...but have no idea how often they need to be done or how to do them.

And like...what I'm aware that needs to be done....I've often only seen done by a maintenance guy who's come in to do all the stuff that needs to be done. 

And it's been like two or three years I feel like since I've seen that done. 

And like I said...I don't know what needs to be done or how often it needs to be done. 

But today I was actually able to learn a bit about our system. 

As our new VP Manager is an old hand at working for Starsmet. With years and years of experience under their belt in a variety of positions including the now defunct PetCare Manager position.
And they happened to work in a sister store that has a similar system to ours and therefore they're aware of just what sort of work needs to be done and how to ensure the system is running well. 

So my current manager and I spent some time with the VP manager as they went through the fish system, showing us a couple of things and noting that we probably definitely need to get the maintenance guy back in to ensure all the parts are working properly and have their components in good working order. 

Which is good. Because like I said...I only know what I know....and the rest...yah it's a mystery to me.

But it's also good to know that our new VP manager has experience in my department, that gives me a bit more confidence in going to them for help or trusting them to know what they're talking about when it comes to animal care in the store. 
So yay. Good things so far.

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment