Friday, April 17, 2020

Spit it Out!

One of my goldfish is a cannibal.

Which isn't that surprising really...as goldfish are known to attempt to eat anything that can fit in their mouths.

And I've found my goldfish with fish stuck in their mouths.
Though the fish has often times been long dead. Leading me to believe that the goldfish just found it while picking at gravel at the bottom of the tank and thought it was food it could eat and so tried to eat it without realizing how big the fish would be.

However.

When I came downstairs a couple of hours after feeding my fish.

I discovered that my largest goldfish -a fish given to me from my sister-in-law's work as they took down that tank there and needed someone to take in their fish...Had a tail sticking out of it's mouth.

And when I looked closer.
The tail was wiggling slightly.

My goldfish was attempting to eat an alive fish!! AHHHHHHH

So I quickly grabbed a net -and got splashed a plenty in the process- to catch the goldfish so that I could grab the poor catfish that somehow had gotten into his mouth.

It took a couple of tries, and I tore the tail fin on the poor catfish a bit...but I finally got him free!

Poor thing seemed rather traumatized.

The goldfish too has been acting a little traumatized from me manhandling him.

But hey I was trying to save a life here!

*exhales*

I honestly don't know how the goldfish got the fish in his mouth anyways.
The closest I can figure is that maybe the catfish was just hanging out on the gravel...and didn't move in time when the goldfish came by picking up rocks to see if they were food and accidentally picked up the catfish instead??

*shrugs*
I don't know, though hopefully both of them recover just fine.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment