Monday, September 26, 2011

Come What May, and Love It

"How can we love days that are filled with sorrow? We can't- at least not in the moment...don't suppress discouragement or deny the reality of pain...don't smother unpleasant truths beneath a cloak of pretended happiness...(However,) I do believe that the way we react to adversity can be a major factor in how happy and successful we can be in life...Learn to laugh...(for)..in spite of discouragement and adversity, those who are happiest seem to have a way of learning from difficult times, becoming stronger, wiser, and happier as a result...Trust in (yourself and)..the next time you're tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead."

-Taken from Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin's talk in the October 2008 General Conference.

Today in my Teachings of the Living Prophets class; we went over Elder Wirthlin's talk titled: Come What May and Love It. Written above is...the collection of thoughts he spoke, but mixed up in order so that it all worked together and made sense to me.
You can find the whole talk in its proper order at this link -> http://lds.org/general-conference/2008/10/come-what-may-and-love-it?lang=eng I highly recommend reading it. :)

My original intention with posting the quoted section above, was to give some people a "stop being so depressing" kick. I wanted them to read this and think "Huh, Elder Wirthlin is right. I should 'learn to laugh' aka 'be a bit more cheerful.'
I never expected to have to take the lesson into my own life today.

I must say...I've been struggling a little lately. Where I feel like I've been walking through mud, just because I have so much to do in a day and I'm stressed about finding the time to do everything, and feeling bad when I don't.
Anyway...this evening...after having procrastinated homework for the weekend...and being a tad bit too busy to do it any sooner, I got back from FHE with the intention to get on my computer, read all the stuff I have to read and write the assignments I need to write before heading to bed.
It ended up not happening, due to Internet problems.
Where for some reason my computer will only give me 'limited connectivity' to the Internet.
Making it really difficult to do my homework since I have to turn it in online.
(Hence the reason why this post is scheduled at 11:59pm...I didn't get Internet access until after midnight)
And that Internet access is only due to my wonderful sister...who let me borrow her computer...for her laptop likes her and has the Internet...while mine still is acting up....odd.
Anyway...
I was thinking some really unfriendly thoughts earlier today...due to my Internet going out...because of other people....I could feel the black cloud gathering over my head.
When I remembered...."The next time you're tempted to groan, you might try to laugh instead."
I groaned.
I don't want to laugh! This is awful!
Then I thought....huh...this is a teaching moment apparently.
To tell me that I can be taught principles as the gospel, and that this talk wasn't for those friends only.
But that I could use it as well.
So I 'laughed'
Not really literally.
I was putting a 'postive joking' spin on the whole thing.
Basically saying "Sarnic. You need to stop procrastinating, look where it got you! Okay, Sarnic I'll do that. I'll stop procrastinating....after I do this first."
lol I found it rather funny.
But Elder Wirthlin's talk didn't just apply to a couple of hours ago when I was frustrated.
It also applied to other times in my day.
I also took the concept of "Try to laugh" and apply it.
Again, I wasn't literally laughing, but I was trying to put a positive spin on things.
And I ended up actually feeling pretty good. :)
Yay!
Lets hope it lasts into tomorrow as well lol.

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment