Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Speech Therapy

Today in a  Special Education class the question was asked
"What do you think off first when you think of special education?"
Or something like that....
My first thought was "A picture of a kid in a wheel chair"
But as we went around the room saying what we thought.
One girl mentioned a therapy area in school she went to for speech therapy because she had a stutter.
and it brought back memories.

When I was in Elementary School.
I went to a speech therapy class.
It was in a little room nearby/within the 'special education' room with the kids with more severe problems in the bigger room.
I didn't really notice more then that. Since I was focused on improving my speech.
Because I wasn't...clear in my speech.
I had trouble making the right sounds for words.
L, S, C, K, R, and perhaps some other letters I had trouble making the sounds right.
I remember L - I couldn't say Light. I would say Yight w/ a Y sound.
And Kikay I would say TiTay.
I never really viewed it as a.....hassle.
I remember fondly speech therapy.
We would play games and work on me making the right sounds and I could read out loud when I was older. And I halfway viewed it as a...treat...because I could get out of class and the others couldn't.
My studies didn't suffer either. I got A's in my classes.
So I viewed it as a treat.
At first.
But I was in speech therapy for a looooonnnggg Time.
From First Grade up to...5th grade..maybe even 6th grade.
I would spend an hour or so at the speech therapy place.
Working on Ls, and Ks and all the other letters.
Rs....took forever. I couldn't get the sound right, it took a couple of grades at least.
And it was as I was forever working on those R's...that it began to become tiresome.
I think its because I wanted to hang with my friends, maybe be more like them, I don't know.
But I was tired of being in speech therapy.
Especially since I was in there the longest out of any of the kids. Most of the kids who entered only stayed for a little bit to work on a couple letter sounds at the most.

Anyway. It was just a thought that passed my mind.
i never really felt different. I would be sad if I had to leave class to go to therapy when a fun activity was happening, but most of the time I was able to avoid the more 'boring' things.
So I think my experience in Speech Therapy was a rather positive one.
I never felt different. :) I halfway viewed it as a "I'm more special/smarter then you" experience. lol. Because I got to leave class and the others didn't. :)

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

The Dream

I was looking for a house to buy so that Kikay and I could move in.
There weren't that many options and I finally found a house right next to an elementary school.
The grass was rather dead looking, but the house was nice enough, though I don't remember going inside it. Instead I went and grabbed Kikay to show her the house.
she wasn't that impressed.
I went into the backyard, which was greener, and there were a bunch of little kids playing on our play set.
The school apparently couldn't afford a playground, and my house I just got had a play ground in it. It was all colorful and looked really cool. The school land and my land was divided by a chain linked fence, but during recess the gates would open and the children could come play. It actually looked like a lot of fun. I moved forward and suddenly I was in an office type area, where it was basically my first day of being a teacher at school...i was at school for teacher like business though I wasn't sure if I was actually a teacher. But one of the guys at there liked me alot, and left a long paper poster against the wall with a bunch of 'get to know you' questions and ABC choices listed. I grabbed a pen to fill out the answers correctly -others tried to fill them out for me. But people kept sitting on the couches in front of the poster, making it hard for me to reach the paper, it was a little awkward, as they kept talking to me and I kept flirting back.

Then the unholy tones of daylight pulled me away....
and I became myself again.

-S.N.D

No comments:

Post a Comment