Monday, March 5, 2012

A Creative Phone Talker

So you remember the post I did a couple days ago....
about being bad at explaining things that I know so well I don't know the meaning behind them?

I've decided....I just have trouble talking in general....
When.
I'm trying to be creative.

More specifically.
When I'm put on the spot to be creative over the phone.
Usually if I call someone its for a specific purpose in mind.
I hold to that purpose. May deviate from it for a bit.
But eventually I hang up with the purpose fulfilled.

Last night...
I had a phone conversation with a friend.
We were talking about concept ideas for a story we were working on together....
but the world seems to be against us doing.
Because our Internet access -where we IM the story to each other- is getting limited all over the place.
So we have less and less time to work on this story together.

But basically....the friend was expecting me to be creative about explaining motive, plot points, what to do next, yadda yadda......while on the phone.
Uhmmm
Uhmmm
Uhmmm
It was hard.
I had ideas.
But then something would be said...
and that would throw me for a loop.
Because you know...I'm actually pretty one track minded on phone conversations.
This is what I was thinking was happening...
and that wasn't what was happening...
and I was still stuck on what I thought should happen.
Trying to process a way to make the two work together....
and I was totally failing.
Why?
It was a phone conversation!
If we were IMing each other...like normal.
I could take as long as I wanted to think, respond, create.
But on the phone....I felt the pressure was on.
If I was silent too long...
Trying to talk in such a way that I was understood.
If I was silent too long.
The whole phone thing was throwing me for a loop.
And I was getting frustrated because my one track phone mind....
was being demanded to explain things I hadn't really considered explaining about my characters and what they should do next.
It was rather depressing.
And our conversation fizzled out a bit...because I was...lost....
But then...once the phone was off.
And I didn't have the pressure to talk placed on me.
I could think clearly.
Dun dun dun.
And consequently we had a whole texting conversation (because I texted an explanation to explain what I was trying to say on the phone but failing to do) that solved many of the issues we were having.
Yay!
:D
Crisis averted!
Kinda.
We still are limited with our Internet time >.< booo
So our ideas will have to wait for who knows how long to be completed through IM conversation.

Still...I think it's interesting...
When I'm face to face with a person (signing or talking to them) and...I don't have to raise my voice to be heard. I can talk and come up with ideas just like that.
With IM chat and such...its the same concept. I can write and think up ideas right off the bat!

But when a phone comes into play.....
I can't do it. Well I can...but I can't. My focus narrows when I'm talking on the phone. Possibly because I have to listen to the person's reply, and then respond back within a certain period of time to show that I'm still there.
With face to face and chat...there are signals to show you're thinking.
on the phone...it just doesn't seem polite.
Possibly because cell phones have limited minutes...i think....I was thinking about how many minutes I was using up on my friends phone....so I didn't feel like I could sit there for more then thirty seconds in silence.

In any case.
If you wish for me to be creative...
You'll get it whatever mode you talk to me in.
But IM or face to face are the best way for multiple creative routes. :)
though with face to face...the chances of me remembering what I'm saying are slim. Sometimes it goes in my brain out my mouth into the air to never be remembered. lol.

Okay...so best way to talk to me about creative ideas....through written means. IM, Text, Email, Facebook...
Then...I can be creative! With no pressure or anything. :) lol.

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

The Dream....
Involved...a ghost girl...a girl that was floating and insubstantial....
but I can't remember much more then that. :(

-S.N.D 

No comments:

Post a Comment