Tuesday, June 18, 2013

A Simple Sign

"You should be able to just look inside and see if they're clean or not and take care of them from there."

I've had this said to me quite a lot over the past week.
You know...whenever  I mention "Hey, maybe the dishes stack up in the sink because there isn't a sign or anything to tell us if the dishes in the dish washer are dirty or not."

My response to their response.
No. You Can't.
Why? Because said dishes in said dishwasher may have already been rinsed off in the sink and stuck in the dish washer so they look clean but aren't really clean because all the gunk has been rinsed off of them. I mean, what is the point of a dishwasher anyway? You have to rinse off the dishes of all the grimy stuff anyway as the dishwasher does a lousy job of scrubbing those hard to scrub bits of food off the dishes.
In any case. I've tried opening the dishwasher a couple of times to see if they're dirty or clean.
Seriously, I can't tell.

And more seriously enough, I'm pretty sure my other roomies and I are too lazy to open said dish washer and actually look. If there are dishes in the sink that must mean that the dishwasher is full. Whether the dishes are dirty and need to be cleaned, in said dishwasher, or are already clean...remains unknown.
Why?
Because there isn't a sign up telling us!
*shakes head*
It's also because we're all a bit too lazy to take the dishes out of the dishwasher when it has been confirmed it's clean. I mean, they're out of sight, which means they're out of mind. And who wants to take the time to put away dishes? Certainly I'm not one of them.

I'm pretty sure that's why all the roommates, who I have considered to be the 'clean freaks of the apartment, have moved out. It's because the dishwasher remains a mystery to the rest of us.
Of course, at first they say it's fine. That they "love" to clean.
But eventually. It gets under their skin.
"Why can't so and so do their dishes!"
a) Because we can't tell if the dishwasher is full of dirty or clean dishes.
b) Because you clean them up for us before we get to them!

And so I'm sure there have been dirty dishes that have been put away uncleaned, and cleaned dishes that have been cleaned more then once due to this lack of visible sign.

"I need a visible sign!"

So whenever the tension gets too much and I've been complained at/to a time too many.
I finally take action.

Like I said. It's good to have a visible sign on the dishwasher saying if it's clean or dirty.

The other roomies have given me the "you can look and tell response."
Well obviously some of us can't if you're still complaining about it.

So I grabbed a piece of paper.
Two markers of different colors.
Wrote "DIRTY" on one side.
and "CLEAN" on the other.
Found a magnet.
Stuck paper to the dishwasher with the magnet and WALLA! THERE's THE SIGN!
You can now glance at said sign and know. "Oh. These dishes are clean!" or "Oh! These dishes are dirty!"

*shakes head* Seriously, that solution has worked a bit better then anything else I've encountered over the years.

Of course it's not a perfect solution. Namely...you still gotta take the dishes out of the dishwasher, and someone has to decide to put the soap in and start the thing to clean them. But it's helped out immensely in past experience with roommates.

Maybe this will help relieve the tension in the current set of roommates. *sighs*
We'll see.

Until you next see these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

The Dream

I dreamt my parents had gone on a cruise, and that they were going on a fishing trip. Only they encountered this giant wolf creature and my mom was trying to catch the same fish this wolf creature was trying to catch, she was swinging on a pendulum occasionally using the wolf as a jumping off point as she tried to get the fish in.

Then the unholy tones of daylight pulled me away....
and I became myself again. :)

-S.N.D

No comments:

Post a Comment