Saturday, January 31, 2015

Scatter Sunshine

1. In a world where sorrow
Ever will be known,
Where are found the needy
And the sad and lone,
How much joy and comfort
You can all bestow,
If you scatter sunshine
Ev’rywhere you go.

(Chorus)
Scatter sunshine all along your way.
Cheer and bless and brighten
Ev’ry passing day.
Scatter sunshine all along your way.
Cheer and bless and brighten
Ev’ry passing day.

2. Slightest actions often
Meet the sorest needs,
For the world wants daily
Little kindly deeds.
Oh, what care and sorrow
You may help remove,
With your songs and courage,
Sympathy and love.

(Chorus)

3. When the days are gloomy,
Sing some happy song;
Meet the world’s repining
With a courage strong.
Go with faith undaunted
Thru the ills of life;
Scatter smiles and sunshine
O’er its toil and strife.

(Chorus)

Text: Lanta Wilson Smith
Music: Edwin O. Excell, 1851-1921

This song has been running through my head off and on for the past couple of weeks.
Why?
Because it was part of my inspiration for what I was going to do about Visiting Teaching.
As you see, I've been called as a Visiting Teaching Coordinator.
Which basically means....I tell people to go visit teach and they tell me if they did it or not.

Which isn't the funnest calling in the world.
As the subject of Visiting Teaching has been harped on waaaaaayyyy too much recently. It's basically beating a head horse now. You keep telling us to do it, but no progress is made.
Why? Because people don't like being told what to do mostly...

Which meant, that I needed to change tactics.
It seems like everyone is focused on the numbers. Getting to the girls, but not really getting to know the girls.

So why not do away with the 'Visiting Teaching' part.
What I wanted to do was to go to each apartment and ask the girls to think of everyone in our stairwell as friends. Not to worry about giving a message, but to invite them to events and be social. Smile, Chat. Don't just ignore each other on the stairwell.

Basically they needed to "Scatter Sunshine."
Or, well, scatter good deeds all over.

But how do I get them to 'Scatter Sunshine?"
By taking it upon myself to be the "Visiting Teacher" for this month.
I went to each door, which is a rather brave thing for me to do, I don't like being the one to go out on a limb....
Knocked.
And gave them this:



















Bottled Sunshine!!!

^^ That way they can 'scatter sunshine' because they have some in their possession!! Ha ha!

Yes, it was a fun idea to implement. :) I hope it helped.
I may have even started up a few friendships along the way, but we'll have to see how it goes. ;)

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment