Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Radiating Heat

It's one of those things.
Where I tend to run warmer than other people.
Not temperature wise.
But just that... I don't usually get cold as easily as others around me.
And my hands tend to stay warmer...you know unless I was just scrubbing fish tanks or something lol.

In any case. I often use the heat coming off of my hands to warm people's cold hands.
A win win situation really because I love the cold. So feeling the cold is really great for me while the person I'm holding hands with is super happy to have warmth surrounding them. lol. 

In any case.
I've been using my hands a bit more for warming purposes the last couple of days.
Not for people...

But for the animals.

It started on Saturday at work when I was doing a little "Meet the Pets" demonstration for like...4 hours. (sooo very looong) 
And one of the animals people could meet was a bearded dragon.

We usually just bring the animals out in easy to access critter totes. That way we can grab them fast and are able to keep them safe and such.
Downside to that, especially to the reptiles, is that they don't have a heatsource handy.
And with the onset of winter....it's been getting kinda cold.....:S 

So when a coworker was like "I think he's cold." about the bearded dragon.
I just kinda volunteered to hold him in my hands.
lol and you should have seen how happy the little beardie was to be surrounded by heat on all sides. He just relaxed and closed his eyes and just enjoyed the warmth. 

I didn't think much of it...
Until yesterday,
When I came across a Zebra Finch in our cages that had gotten trapped between the water dish and the side of the cage. 
Poor thing had been picked on by his buddied. And was soo puffed up and lethargic....I was pretty sure he was going to die. Y_Y 
I mean birds don't usually hold still, but this Zebra Finch didn't struggle that much.
And he was wet...from the water and such....
So I just kinda took him into my hands, just like I had with the beardie and held him like that for a good while, letting the heat coming off my hands radiate around him. And the Finch did the same thing as the Beardie did lol. Closed his eyes and just kinda...relaxed. 
I was rather reluctant to take him away from my hands, but I couldn't just sit there all day holding him, so once I had a separate cage off the floor set up, I reluctantly placed him within the cage, hoping that a little bit of warmth for him would help.

And it appears it did because the Finch was still alive today and was much more active and perky and ah. I'm so relieved. ^^;; 

But the story doesn't end there.
Because today at work, I noticed that one of our reptile bulbs was out in our cages.
And our poor Chinese Water dragon was dark and cold and unhappy.
So I did the same thing, I pulled him out and held him for a bit, before going to give him a warm soak (which he greatly appreciated) while I went and pulled the cage out so I could exchange out the bulb for one that would give off heat. 

Such a happy Chinese Water Dragon lol. 

And lastly....also today.
We got in a new shipment of reptiles.
Which...unfortunately the box experienced a little bit of hard handling. And it was cracked....all the way through the Styrofoam box within the cardboard box, and the poor Ball Python we got in....was stuck right on top of that cracked portion of the box.
Meaning he was exposed to all the cold with no chance of any access to warmth. :S

I honestly thought he had died when I opened up the container. Because he was upsidedown and not moving.
I poked him a couple of times, and watched the muscles react and was like "Oh, maybe he is alive." And pulled him out, and the fact that his body still had a bit of tension in it was great because if he'd been completely limp...yah...that wouldn't have been good.
But AH!!! The poor snake was like ICE!
He was soooo freezing cold poor thing. :S 
To the point where I was at a bit of a loss of what to do. Do I try and give him a warm soak? Do I just stick him in the cage? Do I hold him and let him warm up in my hands.

-I figured a warm soak was probably out of the question. Going from COLD to HOT in two seconds is NOT a good idea for any creature.
But I didn't want him to just be freezing in his cage either.

So I held the snake in my hands to warm him up a bit. Stroking him and such.
And when he finally started to move around and be active on his own, that was when I felt comfortable enough to put him in his cage where the heat lamp could help warm him further. 

So yay for my ability to apparently warm up animals. ^^;; lol. 
I hope that I won't have to use it again any time soon...
But at least if I need to, I'll be able to. ^^;; 

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment