Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Fish Trouble

*Exhales* 
I know that my coworkers mean well.
And I do appreciate when they help me out. Because I'm far too used to working by myself and so getting help is usually appreciated.

But there are days where I just kinda wish I hadn't had the help, as I probably could have gotten things done faster on my own. 

So today.
We got in two boxes of Feeder Goldfish.

One was a shipment of Xsmalls that had been supposed to arrive last week.
The other a shipment of Small and Large goldfish. 

I hadn't had time to place them in their tanks though, focused as I was on other things.
But I did have time to check the smaller box and grab the invoice to confirm that it was the missing shipment from last week. Which it was.
And I left the paper invoice on top of that box with the intention to come back to it after lunch.

But during lunch, the manager watching the department for me put the goldfish out for me.
I'm not sure if it was their decision to do so or if they were told to do so by the Head Manager...

But in any case. They decided to put the goldfish out.....

Though to my knowledge....this particular manager had never worked in my department, had never put the goldfish out before.

*exhales*
And that's the problem right there.

They'd seen the first invoice I'd left on top of the box and had known that that box contained the xsmall goldfish.

So they placed all of those ones into ONE tank. When usually each size of goldfish has two tanks to place them in. So we usually split new shipments of goldfish between the tanks so as to not overload one tank.

But nope. Into one tank went the 600 xsmall goldfish. 

But then the manager encountered a slight problem with the second box that contained small and large goldfish.

Why?
Because they didn't 'see' the invoice for that box. 
Because I hadn't taken the paper out of it's little plastic packaging on top of the box yet.
*exhales* Who knew why my manager didn't notice the paper. Perhaps they just were sight blind to it because they hadn't needed to look for it before.

But instead of waiting to discover what fish we'd gotten in....
Like trying to find the invoice on the computer or looking at the box closer or asking another manager where to find the invoice.

They just basically eyeballed it. 
And since the first box had constained Xsmall goldfish....
They assumed that the smaller fish in the second box were also Xsmall. 
(Though we like never get two bags of the same size goldfish in together. It's really rare) 
So they placed all the large goldfish into one tank. 

And then placed the bag of small goldfish into the second tank of Xsmall goldfish.
Meaning 1200 xsmall goldfish were placed in 2 tanks. 

*exhales*

So when I get back from lunch.
I discover that the goldfish had already been put into the tanks.
Which yay! One less thing for me to do.

But then my manager was like "Oh hey, I couldn't find the second invoice."

O.o Huh? If you couldn't find the second invoice...how did you know what fish to put in what tanks??

That's when I realized --after pointing out to my manager exactly where they could find the invoice....that 600 goldfish had been placed in the wrong tank. 

Which meant I needed to fish them out and place them in their proper tanks.
And then needed to divide out the xsmalls so that they all weren't in one tank.
As well as the Large as well.

And i noticed while fishing out the fish.
That the white stones (some sort of ammonia blocker thing?) that come in many of the goldfish bags had also ended up in the tank.

So i went to inform my manager that we didn't want those in the fish tanks. (as they're supposed to be kept clear of rocks and things) 

Which is when my manager then asked "How do you avoid that when you dump the bags in."

Dump. The. Bags. ....In? 

You don't dump the bags of goldfish into the tank.
You place them in a bucket and then fish them out of the bucket so that the ammonia filled water wouldn't end up in our system.

As goldfish give off a lot of ammonia.

It's not like our fish shipments where you can dump the water in the fish bags for the regular fish right into the system.

No goldfish bags you don't dump that water in. 

But my manager, not knowing different....did exactly that. 

*exhales* I really hope we don't lose fish because of that.

But yah.
What was supposed to save me time....ended up taking me like twenty minutes to correct because the manager hadn't ever been trained on how to properly put out the feeder goldfish. 

So yah.
Frustrating.

But hopefully....it won't happen again.
Hopefully. 

Until you next read these words;
I'll be watching the leaves.
Enjoy the day!

-Sarnic Dirchi

No comments:

Post a Comment